Sign in to follow this  
Commonplace

How accurate are wound textures?

I have a question:

In OFP I remember the part of the body I hit with my gun was clearly red. E.g. I shoot at the head and the head changes to damage textures ONLY, not with the leg or other party of the body.

Now it seems to be off some times, e.g. I shoot at the head and the legs are

portrayed with damage textures too.

So my question is, is it just me or are else experiencing this very problem too, is the accuracy of the damage textures off?

Nope, they seem pretty random. I think with their high-res textures they decided to add bullet holes, which would be hard to place right anyways.

I feel that it is a bit iffy some of the time too.

A couple of days ago I was playing a small editor battle on Isle Duala of 2 groups of Afrenian police (plus me)

Against 6 groups of rebels supported by 4 RPG teams.

After 10-20 minutes or so once the town was cleared and all was said and done.

I was doing my full sweep of the area when i noticed that perhaps 95% of all causulaties were all red/fully damaged (head,torso and legs)

This made me think that even though i almost always aim centre mass head and leg textures were showing as well.

I myself put this down to the fact that more than likely the bodies had been hit by grenades or stray fire in the gun fight.

But I would be curious to see if anyone else has any problems with this.

Hi all

How accurate are wound textures?

They do not include the smell of large amounts of blood which is the main thing that makes you gyp.

It is a smell you never forget.

Kind Regards walker

They aren't accurate, but I never realize nor care. Guy I shot looks bloody is all I'm looking for.

Wound textures are simple. When a certain body part receives X amount of damage it applies a wound texture to it. The different parts are: head, torso, arms, and legs. Now, what happens when you get hit is that damage is distributed to various parts based on where you where it; but it's only an estimate. The end result is that even hits to the arms for example can pass a portion (typically a very small portion though) of the damage on to the legs. If the base damage is high enough though it wouldn't matter where you were hit since a high enough portion of the damage would be passed to pretty much every body part. There are also parts of the hit geometry that aren't one of the above listed body parts (not sure why exactly), so when these receive damage it is equally distributed to all parts.

I have found that if you create your own wound/damage handling script it is best to ignore this "partless" damage, and to only apply damage to the part that received the most damage (which is going to be the part directly hit).