Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Manual startup procedure ?

Silence ! I kill you!

What's with the Mi-14PS for FSX you supposed to make ? I even got sick and had to be on antibiotics to get you reference photos for it :D

Well I know it's just a game / sim. But I believe they said the heli in preview is based on the MD520. And I know for that the MD500 (different I know, but similiar probably) excluding preflight checks and since there are no hotstarts / cold starts or anything. All you need to do is Start battery, turn on starter, once you reach 12-15% RPM (Auto Start brings it to 20%, so I suppose that's alright) set throttle to idle. Once RPM reaches 58% (marked on lower right guage as red line) shut off starter. Watch the TOT (Turbine Outlet Temperature) and wait for it to warm up, cool down a bit, should be steady and not moving. Then set throttle to max. Alternatively you could look at Engine Oil Temperature, it should rise, slowly lower, then steady. Once you're on max throttle wait for RPM to go in the green zone on gauge, and you're set to fly.

Well I know it's just a game / sim. But I believe they said the heli in preview is based on the MD520. And I know for that the MD500 (different I know, but similiar probably) excluding preflight checks and since there are no hotstarts / cold starts or anything. All you need to do is Start battery, turn on starter, once you reach 12-15% RPM (Auto Start brings it to 20%, so I suppose that's alright) set throttle to idle. Once RPM reaches 58% (marked on lower right guage as red line) shut off starter. Watch the TOT (Turbine Outlet Temperature) and wait for it to warm up, cool down a bit, should be steady and not moving. Then set throttle to max. Alternatively you could look at Engine Oil Temperature, it should rise, slowly lower, then steady. Once you're on max throttle wait for RPM to go in the green zone on gauge, and you're set to fly.

Awesome. I hope BIS programs this in. Key would be consequences if one does NOT follow the above precisely. If you know some of those consequences, please post them.

Well I'm just into helicopters, not a pilot (yet :D). But from what I know that while using the starter and adding fuel before %12 damages the engine, while later than %15 damages the starter, same as if the starter runs more than 60 seconds (which was in last update.) Also if a start is aborted, you should wait 60 seconds, if 2nd is aborted, wait 60 seconds, if the 3rd is aborted you should wait 30 minutes and try to find the problem. I've heard that if an engine is damaged from that you must pay to have the engine removed, taken apart, examined, and repaired if possible. Also people advise that you shut off all electronics / avionics before starting as you should give the starter as much power as needed or it might not reach it's potential. I hope the devs consider this and thanks for the reply :). Also I started a thread similiar to this one a while ago in the other TKOH forum section, feel free to post.

You can screw up the startup procedure in many ways, overheating the battery is one of those too, and helicopter that have battery compartment on fire is not considered airworthy ;)

The Hughes 369 family is very robust, and elegant design from engineering point of view. Very simple and well thought out (except for the MDD NOTAR inventions - problems with its steering system, and the MD600 is just pushing the initial design over its limits). So these shouldn't give any problems, but the bigger Bell 412-like, and the AW101-like would be totally different story.

Edited by Sundowner
typo

overheating the battery is one of those too, and helicopter that have battery compartment on fire is not considered airworthy ;)

Nice added touch to ToH - FLAME OUT! Use that extinguisher, and swearing allowed. "*%$%$**&&&@@#^^**, fried the battery again!"