Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

Altimeter (and possibly density altitudes) wrong for Takistan

Altimeter doesn't display the correct value. On Takistan southern airport it shows roughly 1000 feet, or roughly 297 meters. If you look at the map, you'll see the airport is situated at an elevation of 2297 meters.

getPosASL vehicle player select 2 also shows 297. So it appears to me that the islands elevation offset (getElevationOffset) is not accounted for.

Is air density and temperatures based on the same data? Using todays forecast for Kabul, 32°C, and using the same offset from ISA on our airport, I end up with density altitudes at about 11350 feet (versus 7536 feet which would be indicated on the altitude indicator). Highest peak in Takistan is 2700 meters, or 8858 feet, translating to 12968 feet density altitude (for ref, I assumed temperature and dew point to be equal). With MD500 listed with service ceiling at around 16000 feet (at ISA conditions), aren't we getting awfully close to the maximum performance of the aircraft, given also that "at the moment the aircraft is slightly heavier and bulkier than it would normally be"?

I for one would have loved to see the true difference in action: Hot (more so than island defaults) and high for the ultimate challenge on Takistan, and ISA conditions for Chernarus for a more leaned back experience.

Seattle may not show this problem much, but how about the southeast asia map? Will it be hot, humid, and at altitudes? Then I think this should be accounted for.

Links:

http://www.pilotoutlook.com/calculators/density-altitude-calculator

http://www.aneclecticmind.com/2010/10/16/a-lesson-in-high-density-altitude/

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Lol, nobody cares? Oh well, I tried changing island temperatures for Utes (temperatureDayMax[], temperatureDayMin[], temperatureNightMax[], and temperatureNightMin[], setting everything around the 60s, but not reflected in the ambient temperature gauge. There is no "updating base class" reflected in the .rpt, but my weather (wave height, not reflected by updating base class report, and color definitions, reflected by updating base class report) do work. Am I doing something wrong here? Also I see no difference from noon summer or midmight winter. Utes moved north, to lon 15.35 lat -68.87, but don't think that would matter any.

The FAQ stated that:

Yes, weather, altitude, pressure, and other variables are all integrated into the simulation.
, so they may be still working on it...at least I hope so. They may do working more on the content currently then on the helo FM and all affecting variables.

So then, isn't this just a general issue with the map then and nothing to actually do with Take On at all. The only connection with Take On is that the altimeter in the aircraft highlighted it.

You know that you are getting too serious when you start to view Community Preview as the actual game.

Yes I hope it's something they work on. Reason I reacted was that the patch made temperatures drop off with altitude (works), but neglects island altitude offset. There is evidence of varying air densities, and I do drop out of juice as I climb towards and even past service ceiling of the helicopter.

It has everything to do with TOH :) Arma is an action game (in comparison) where we typically only see altitude AGL anyway (which I don't like, but that's another matter), and certainly no density altitudes :) The map is ok, there could be plenty of developer convenience reasons to keep it from 0-700m rather than 2000-2700m (prevent degration of floating point accuracy i.e.).

So yeah, I know this is a community preview, but we don't really know in detail what we have - what is supposed to work. Maybe the devs are in full control over everything I mentioned. Maybe the altimeter and air densities (the command to read them out work) was supposed to work, only the devs know, in which case now they know it has issues at least in the community preview. They should check their full version with Takistan if it happens there too. If not, it needs looking into. :)

I saw somewhere that there is no bit of new weather system from tkoh in the demo, so it explain.

AOA will be there in the new factor that will be in use (Air density) but I don't know at wich extend the performance will be affected:

Lift Drag and Pitch will depend from it

LiftDueToAoA (air density)

DragDueToAoA

PitchingMomentDueToAoA

Ocramweb

Edited by TheOcramweb