Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Should a tank be able to shoot down a chopper?

not griping here, just asking a question based on realism. Should i tank really be able to shoot down a chopper with its machine gun?

Well I think almost every tank has a coax machine gun and AA machine gun (which is actually missing from the game)...

i think they do that in reality but i'm not a tanker so who knows but i'm sure BIS added it for a reason

Russian tanks have had large-caliber 12.7mm AA (not anti-infantry) machine guns for decades. The are fully capable of downing a chopper or ground attack aircraft if the operator can manage to get a couple of good hits. They'll also chew through APCs...

well the COAX might have a hard time of it, because it is only .30 caliber, but pour enough rounds in? oh hell yea.

The .50 cal used by the tank TC would have a much easier time of it, and that's one of the primary reasons a tank carries a 50 cal. But BIS does not model it so they had to make up for it with the coax.

Yeah, i only ask because it seems like a t-80 is just as good as a shilka sometimes. I was playing Search and Destroy with the method of piloting the two cobras and taking the place out that way, and it seems like T-80s (i'm sure Abrams too) have a little bit too good of AA capability for what kind of unit they are. Maybe i'm wrong, and of course you can always just get better at being a pilot and taking them out before they can. confused.gif

I downloaded the Armor Realism pack and set 3 M1 platoons vs 4 T80 plattons and I was in a group of 3 Hinds. Far from map (desert island) as soon as mission started the Abrams left the T80s alone and all fired their guns at us in the air. Now the AA from these tanks was way worse than its EVER been in FP. The Abrams would shoot at an SU25 but not choppers. Just a hail of lead like a welcoming from Vulcans smile.gif but they shooting at us left the T80s to finish them off.

A few times a few of us were shot down, there were 3 platoons of the bastards aiming at us!

well.........At least they never think to use their Sabot on me lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ May 23 2002,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, i only ask because it seems like a t-80 is just as good as a shilka sometimes. I was playing Search and Destroy with the method of piloting the two cobras and taking the place out that way, and it seems like T-80s (i'm sure Abrams too) have a little bit too good of AA capability for what kind of unit they are. Maybe i'm wrong, and of course you can always just get better at being a pilot and taking them out before they can.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Its great when you can defend yourself smile.gif

But before the realism download the Abrams only attacked the Su25s and that was it. Never seen a T80 taking on Shilka duties.

you haven't?  damn i get it all the time, was running through the south valley on everon with my OH-58 happy as can be when about a dozen T-80s decided to start firing their 12.7s at me, wasn't pretty.

i think this has been added in a patch BTW 1.46 maybe, don't remember it in 1.3

Tanks will only shoot at Cobra, Kiowa and on blackhawk sometimes. they will not even move it they'l see apache or any other chopper in the air. Maybe it would be better if they would shoot at other choppers too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ May 23 2002,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tanks will only shoot at Cobra, Kiowa and on blackhawk sometimes. they will not even move it they'l see apache or any other chopper in the air.<span id='postcolor'>

A tank will shoot at anything it CAN shoot.. helicopters as well... the problem is hitting them... When (not if) they fire at the chopper they wont use the 7.62 co-ax machine gun, they will fire a sabot round (better possibility of hitting the chopper).. + a 7.62 machine gun range is only about 1000 meters (if you want to hit something, that is)

A tank will NOT just watch a helicopter as it flyes around in the air, unless it is moving too fast (too fast for it to be shot down)...

Yes, I am a real tank commander, and this is what i've been learned to do... of course this is always different depending on the situation... and i cant really speak of the tank tactics used in 1985 either...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (unpronouncable @ May 23 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpaceAlex @ May 23 2002,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tanks will only shoot at Cobra, Kiowa and on blackhawk sometimes. they will not even move it they'l see apache or any other chopper in the air.<span id='postcolor'>

A tank will shoot at anything it CAN shoot.. helicopters as well... the problem is hitting them... When (not if) they fire at the chopper they wont use the 7.62 co-ax machine gun, they will fire a sabot round (better possibility of hitting the chopper).. + a 7.62 machine gun range is only about 1000 meters (if you want to hit something, that is)

A tank will NOT just watch a helicopter as it flyes around in the air, unless it is moving too fast (too fast for it to be shot down)...

Yes, I am a real tank commander, and this is what i've been learned to do... of course this is always different depending on the situation... and i cant really speak of the tank tactics used in 1985 either...<span id='postcolor'>

khm. I was talking about OFP. I know how it is in real life, but i was talking about the game here. wow.gifwow.gifwow.gif

My dad drove the M1 and he said that the loader(if turned out, or unbuttoned) faces the rear of the tank in case a plane or heli ambushes it from the rear, while the commander faces front.Hear is kinda of an example.

m1a1.jpg

m1a1-tank.jpg

Also, i have been shoot down by T-80s (with there machine gun)while flying the OH-58, designating targets for AH-64's, in a mission i made. smile.gif

SUMA, MARUK, BIS (the greatest software developers in history smile.gif )!

PLEASE give a comment (i have been concerned over this since version 1.20 i think):

Should the AA firing by tanks be inconsistent?

Should only a few tanks fire at some aircrafts?

I really enjoy taking a trip in a chopper once in a while, but its no fun if there are no danger!

I have 1.46 but I can not remember what happened in 1.30 (the version I bought) but in M1 Tank Platoon 2 using SABOTs to take out choppers was always the way to go provided the chopper was not moving or you were a good gunner.

But not shooting choppers because they fly to fast is a bit off I think for the M1 (in the game anyway). The Abrams attacks the SU25 and almost always takes it out just like a Vulcan or Shilka. But it left choppers alone until realism patch found its way into my addons folder.

Altho I have not used alot of the units like the choppers, only the Russian ones. I tried the Kiowa once and that was it. Like the Cobra but never use it so I that might explain why I have not seen this.