Sign in to follow this  
vaaf_rup

my evaluation

[*]Vortex ring doesn't seem to be modelled. Straight down from a few hundred meters, pulled stick, hover.

I've found a Vortex ring state is quite low from hovers at 50m.

Or alternatively, just use the report button to alert a moderator and refrain from making snarky comments.

I agree, nothing worse than wanna be moderators. And I am not a fan of one massive forum thread with a bunch of crap.. Some people don't live on these forums. Some just want their own thread.. I think ts time you (Ziggy, and all the mods who feel the same) to grow up and deal with it.. I see no problem with 50,000 of the same threads.. doesn't bother me one bit.. seems the only ones it bothers are the wanna be moderators that live here and the mods that want to abuse their powers acting like cops. Tough cookies

As if it wasn't obvious you were saying fuck you from the start. Again tough cookies.

There IS a good valid reason why the mods want to keep the number of threads down. Each one generates its own growth of feedback and takes on an entity of its own. All of these responses and posts are comprised of data that is taking up space on a server somewhere that someone is paying for. Also many people are of the opinion that if everything is on one central thread, and if one READS all of the comments posted on that thread before they make their own comments, they might find that someone else has already discussed what they were going to discuss, thus avoiding double posting.

However, I feel that human nature is to be lazy, and we all want our little piece of spotlight, so we bypass reading everyone else's posts and create our own anyway. Everyone wants a voice, even if we are screaming the same thing as the last guy. So, people can moderate all they want, but it is only going to generate data wasting conflict because our nature goes against the order imposed by the modders.

Space? Are you serious? Has nothing to do about space, it has to do about conformity.

The US realized it couldn't mold humans into soldiers it could only shape them. Guess what, they quit trying to mold, Why don't you?

People do things for a billion different reasons, most of them again are because they don't live here, don't know how, or didn't seem to think they could find the help in a appropriate convenient way. It only seems to irritate those who desire power or already have it.... Doesn't bother 90%. So why must we conform to the few who live here or try to control it? Guess what, it won't mold that way... So again quit trying

Hmm - about 4 pages ago this thread was pretty interesting. Anyway, in an attempt to get it somewhere in the vicinity of on-topic, perhaps one of the real-life pilots could explain the following phenomenon....

I've noticed that when flying fast (~100knots) and level with high collective, the anti-torque pedals start off by inducing a small amount of yaw but this very quickly turns into a steep bank in the direction of the pedal. This is so pronounced that it's almost possible to fly along twisting roads using just pedals and a bit of cyclic to increase pitch in the turns. At first I thought I'd inadvertently mapped the pedals to bank or turn but this isn't the case so I'm assuming it's an actual aerodynamic effect. If so, what causes it ?

Hmm - about 4 pages ago this thread was pretty interesting. Anyway, in an attempt to get it somewhere in the vicinity of on-topic, perhaps one of the real-life pilots could explain the following phenomenon....

I've noticed that when flying fast (~100knots) and level with high collective, the anti-torque pedals start off by inducing a small amount of yaw but this very quickly turns into a steep bank in the direction of the pedal. This is so pronounced that it's almost possible to fly along twisting roads using just pedals and a bit of cyclic to increase pitch in the turns. At first I thought I'd inadvertently mapped the pedals to bank or turn but this isn't the case so I'm assuming it's an actual aerodynamic effect. If so, what causes it ?

Well from the little that I do know... over 60 knots the rotor is basically uneffective no?

Space? Are you serious? Has nothing to do about space, it has to do about conformity.

The US realized it couldn't mold humans into soldiers it could only shape them. Guess what, they quit trying to mold, Why don't you?

People do things for a billion different reasons, most of them again are because they don't live here, don't know how, or didn't seem to think they could find the help in a appropriate convenient way. It only seems to irritate those who desire power or already have it.... Doesn't bother 90%. So why must we conform to the few who live here or try to control it? Guess what, it won't mold that way... So again quit trying

I sure hope you are not yelling at me. I am not exactly for the whole structured forum thing myself. Also, I was a U.S. Soldier, so I get your point there, but my post was in no terms trying to "mold" anyone into doing anything. I was simply trying to weigh some pros and cons. So pardon me. I'm SOOO sorry I offended your sensibilities somehow.

---------- Post added at 05:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

This is not an aerodynamic effect you would see in real life for a helicopter, though you do get this effect in an airplane. The tail rotor's only purpose on a helicopter is to counter torque from the rotor system. The pilot does not need to change pedal input more than a smidge for trim in turns (quite unlike an airplane). As the helicopter gains forward airspeed, the vertical stabilizer on the tail, which is basically a wing turned 90 degrees, starts producing lift with a horizontal vector which also counters the torque induced by the rotor system and alleviates the pilot's need to apply as much left pedal to keep the nose straight. The faster the helicopter goes, the more effective the vertical stabilizer becomes and the less left pedal is required. In forward flight the pilot steers primarily with the cyclic, banking the helicopter, it should stay in trim with minimal (if any) pedal required for trim.

I hope this answers your question, and I also hope this winds up being correctly modeled in the final version of the game.

I hope this answers your question, and I also hope this winds up being correctly modeled in the final version of the game.

Great explanation, thanks :) Now I just have to break my habit of using pedal in the turns....

Maybe vaaf_rup could setup some simple "learn to fly" scenarios, kinda like he remembers from his own first hover struggles? :p
This would require an in-game mechanics controlling certain inputs, limiting player to control only a certain number of axis. Student pilot would begin his familiarization with the rudder only, then try the collective only, then the cyclic, then combine rudder and collective, to finely take full control. Who flown the Jane's Longbow, or the introductory helicopter missions in FSX, know how this works.

After that - learn to hover, transition to forward flight, and back to hover, flying patterns, navigation, emergencies, including many scenarios requiring autorotations (engine out, stuck pedal, in forward flight, in hover, 180° autos, etc. )...

I'm not sure a typical ARMA player would like to take on that kind of "tutorial", we're talking hours of game time to complete, and master it, and we're still not talking mission specific skills, like:

- IFR flying

- mountain flying

- oversea flying

- winching operations

- longlining

- firefighting with a bucket

- firefighting with underbelly tank

- confined space operations

- ENG patterns flying

- ship deck operations

- aerial gunnery

- NOE flights

- NVG night flying

etc.

Now, how far the devs want to go with this? Because with the right approach to simulation (with more "arcade" style of flying also available), I could think out at least 30 training missions to cover all of this, and that's a lot to go through.

Edited by Sundowner
typo

I agree, nothing worse than wanna be moderators. And I am not a fan of one massive forum thread with a bunch of crap.. Some people don't live on these forums. Some just want their own thread.. I think ts time you (Ziggy, and all the mods who feel the same) to grow up and deal with it.. I see no problem with 50,000 of the same threads.. doesn't bother me one bit.. seems the only ones it bothers are the wanna be moderators that live here and the mods that want to abuse their powers acting like cops. Tough cookies

Maybe you dont see the problem but we who do this work free on our own free time see a problem with it because it takes more time to manage. And the rules are in place to keep some order and ease of using the forum - for everyone. ;-)