Sign in to follow this  
Stray Bullet

Can't pass the firing range in boot camp

I just got Arma 2 today. Steam version, fully patched to the recent 1.09 patch.

I am barely into it at all since I keep failing the firing range.

When you first go up to the guy he tells you to load your weapon and fire off a few rounds. I can hit every target just fine and I rarely miss. (I've been playing Arma 1 for a while now so I'm used to Arma game play)

So then he starts the actual firing range qualifying. The targets go down, one pops up, I shoot and hit it and the instructor says something like "woo-hoo, I think you need more practice..."

And then I am offered the choice to try again or quit. I try again and the SAME thing happens every damn time - I hit the target, and he gives me that same message.

I've read that Arma 2 has a lot of bugs but I didn't think I'd be battling one 3 minutes into the game and have to spend an hour reloading and retrying over and over again just to qualify on the firing range and still fail to get past it. I've tried no less than five times already and I'm starting to get sick of it.

What's going on here? Am I doing something wrong?

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

EDIT:

Okay, it figures the problem would just fix itself right after I go to a forum and ask about it.

This time I started a new game and went straight to the firing range and did it and passed right away without any troubles.

I managed to get past the medic training, the MOUT and the anti-tank range too so far, so now I'm a happy camper. I guess it was just bugged in my first game for whatever reason.

Edited by Stray Bullet

Welcom to the word of ArmA it's buggy just as RL.

Thanks, yeah, I'm seeing that. ;)

I'm no stranger to Arma. I've played quite a bit of Arma 1 for maybe two years now, so I know its tradition for bugginess. Although it's been a long time since I did anything in Arma 1 except create my own missions with the Editor.

Since my problem this morning it's been going fairly well, I guess at least until very recently. I'm in a situation where my team isn't entirely listening to me and it's beginning to piss me off. I noticed I have the word STOP over my avatar and now when I give the Regroup command, my guy says "All follow group" instead of simply "regroup", and they all just stand there.

I can get them to move and it seems any other command, but Regroup isn't working.

I wonder if it's because I was injured earlier and had to get the medic to help me? Someone else temporarily takes over and I wonder if I never properly got my control back? Is that possible? I don't remember the word STOP over my avatar showing up. Did I hit the wrong command somehow?

It's seriously impeding my progress...

If you want to regroup on you, you can always just point at the ground using the space command menu.

I've had this issue some myself in MP, but I usually just left the server and came back whenever it happened. It still got really annoying though.

I wonder if it's because I was injured earlier and had to get the medic to help me? Someone else temporarily takes over and I wonder if I never properly got my control back? Is that possible? I don't remember the word STOP over my avatar showing up. Did I hit the wrong command somehow?

That´s it m8!

To gain full control again switch to another soldier and back again.

(I cut out my stupid prior comments, I CAN tend to get dramatic with booze ..type fast and peeved..at least I admit it!)

A fix or acknowledgement of this exact "weird" problem in BOOT CAMP is not addressed in the answers to this guy's questions. I have it.

Solution is positioning at the correct firing position to the right of the Ammo box were the very light yellow (should be brighter), and hard to see marker demands you to be. Then it will work.

It is ONLY a barrier "bug" for many beginners to such a professional level game as old OFP was. I want the intro to the game for beginners to be as smooth as they are used to.. my son just saw a YOU TUBE in Germany on the game and was WOWED and I bought the whole package for him and fear these frustration points can blow off SO MANY CASUALS which should become players at the level of WOW and all this other crap most like.. GOTTA be wise and watch a new buyer get stopped on stupid points.

I have seen a lot of beginners give up at two points in learning this game.

They go to the firing range pick up ammo and start shooting over the sandbags. Then the test starts and they get the razz and start again over and over like the guy said. He just went to the right place the 2nd time. The bots should say move to the firing position.

Other spot is after the SMAW/Javelin training where you elect to start MOUT and have no AMMO for your rifle. Finding the correct box around there and locating magazines is NOT SMOOTHLY OBVIOUS FOR BEGINNERS. Again the BOT should tell one to go get ammo and where.

They are not bugs .. just not beginner friendly, frustration failure, give up points for the game.

Edited by Leifur
Corrections

You're going to call a venture capitalist? About a bug that doesn't, you know, matter?

If no one has ever said this to you, let me be the first so you recognize it at various points in the future. A person of your upbringing is going to have a long life filled with many important lessons.

Someone raging for a bug in BOOTCAMP? wuts wrong with you, people who play Diablo 3 paid twice the retail price of arma 2 CO and still get disconnected while playing SINGLE PLAYER, they just lives with it and moves on.

Yes, the game is buggy but we have a dev that keep supplying us with a patch even until now. We all learn to accept it or just make our own mod to make it better. that's the arma community way. If you're not satisfied with it, mod it yourself instead of raging to the dev.

I think that's what made the arma community unique, we have the power in our hands to change the game to our liking.