Sign in to follow this  
Cumboy

New cumboy aviation mission

Thanks Neo,

Hey are you the Neo who wrote 'arms bazaar'? If so did you get the idea from 'Tommorow Never Dies' (Bond movie)....

Just watching it the other day and it made me think of that mission...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LoneSoldier @ May 22 2002,12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cumboy your a fuckin, moron.<span id='postcolor'>

Comments like that are not tolerated on these forums, any repeat will result in your posting rights being removed.

Why did you call me a moron lonesoldier?

What has you getting banned from the OFPEC forums got to do with me?

Well leaving the slagging aside I for one am glad to have a new Cumboy mission. Just downloaded the corrected version and gave it a spin.

Interesting but I think its going to take a few attempts to get the hang of it. I flew until it got too dark to see. Hit two bases and two patrols but since the mission didn't finish I figure thats not me done. I'll keep at it.

On a nostalgia note, I still have most of your missions but one ( Close Air Support I think ) didn't work after OFP 1.4x. Any chance of an update?

Hey John,

I hoped you would get a hold of this new mission, I thought it would be right up your alley, considering you liked the others so much. Just a hint cause youre being so persistent with the mission, there are 3 base camps and 2 patrols so youre not far off. This mission is one of the more difficult out there and will require close scrutiny of the briefing and other material provided. It really tests your map work, recon and flying skills rather than your trigger finger 'cause that's what I think OFP is starved of right now.

'Close Air Support' and my other missions are pretty ordinary by todays standards, so I wouldnt worry about having them updated. The next mission I'm working on will be orientated around the Mi24, same standard as 'Hunter-Killer'.

Nah sorry cumboy. I was just stirring you up.

What does your nsme "CumBoy" mean? It sounds dirty...

Not too shabby!  Very cool mission cumboy.  smile.gif  It took me a few minutes to figure out how to call in artillery fire, but once I got it down, I was on a roll.

I noticed that the briefing screen was set up like a real op-order.  Nice touch!  Where did you learn that?  I wish BIS had used that same format for their missions.  It would make everything feel more realistic.

I look forward to your next mission.  Keep up the good work and try not to delete any more forums in the process. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cumboy @ May 22 2002,15:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Neo,

Hey are you the Neo who wrote 'arms bazaar'? If so did you get the idea from 'Tommorow Never Dies' (Bond movie)....

Just watching it the other day and it made me think of that mission...<span id='postcolor'>

No I am not, but I have played "Arms Bazaar". smile.gif

I am working on a coop, big one. You play as a SEAL team with the main task to locate and bring the guerilla off from Malden (full of Russians). All you know is that they are somewhere on southern Malden. While you're searching you will at some points get new objectives, if necessary. A few custom sounds and one custom music file.

Neo

I tried to download several times but only got a corrupt or invalid file. Is it available from anywhere else yet?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (amos m @ May 23 2002,10:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I tried to download several times but only got a corrupt or invalid file. Is it available from anywhere else yet?<span id='postcolor'>

I had the same problem using a download manager, Getright. Hold the SHIFT key down before clicking on the DL link. This should cause your browser's default DL client to do the DL correctly.

Did that fix the problem avonlady?

Did you manage to download the file ok?

Oh yeah and can anyone tell me when they complete the mission.....The learning curve is quite steep and as a result it may take some time. Just in case I need to add some more tutorials, hints etc....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cumboy @ May 23 2002,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did that fix the problem avonlady?

Did you manage to download the file ok?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, did that yesterday after you corrected the mission.

Thanks Paladin,

I added the extra stuff so that players can better understand the concept of the mission. I really don't think any mission has been attempted with the OH-58D as the subject, but it has so much potential in OFP.

OFP can simulate more than shooting the shit out of other people and I like to exploit that to the maximum. My mission 'Air Recon' did that as well, with the player flying a Foward Air Control aircraft. It wasn't that good however and the objectives or atmosphere didn't seem realistic now I look back at it. I guess I'm trying to expand on that. Deep down I believe everyone loves realistic missions over all and I enjoy the research that allows me to make examples that are

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cumboy @ May 23 2002,12:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP can simulate more than shooting the shit out of other people<span id='postcolor'>

True, true.

You got a website with all of your missions? Or are they spread over other persons' websites?

They all used to be on FlashpointArena...before it went under. 3 of them were on a cover disk for a magazine, but I guess you don't have that wink.gif

I'll upload them with Hunter-Killer....same address, if anyone wants them. They aren't up to scratch by recent standards however. Oh a couple are at flashpoint.org I think. I didn't submit them there though, they just showed up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yeah and can anyone tell me when they complete the mission.....The learning curve is quite steep and as a result it may take some time. Just in case I need to add some more tutorials, hints etc.... <span id='postcolor'>

I finished the mission last night and thought it was'nt too hard to figure out.  The first camp I came across served as my tutorial since they did'nt shoot back (good thing) so I took my time with it and figured out how to call in artillery even though it was tempting to just use the FFAR's.  Once I figured it out it was easy.  Find the target - Fly to a safe area - Use the map and radio to bombard the target.  The tutorial in the briefing explained how it worked adequately.  It's a sweet script.  Is it your own creation, or did you get it at OFPEC?  I can think of a million uses for it.

I had a harder time with using the laser designator since there isn't a single official OFP mission that takes advantage of it. I simply didn't have any experience in using it at all. Once I noticed that I was in "manual fire" mode I switched it off and instead let the gunner handle the aiming. Things got easier and I was able to call in the A-10's. A few extra words in the briefing explaining how to use the laser would probably help.

Nice job, very high quality.  Add voices to it and you'll have yourself an award winner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They aren't up to scratch by recent standards however. <span id='postcolor'>

You're too harsh on yourself Cumboy. Yes, you've got better since but they were still enjoyable missions.

So this missions uses the Laser Designator?

I think that is the reason ppl haven't exclusively used the oh-58 in missions yet.

I wish BIS would fix the bug with this thing. I hate having to switch to D3D with out hw t&l.

I still don't understand how the interface between a program and a video card can cause this sort of bug.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ May 23 2002,17:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh yeah and can anyone tell me when they complete the mission.....The learning curve is quite steep and as a result it may take some time. Just in case I need to add some more tutorials, hints etc.... <span id='postcolor'>

I finished the mission last night and thought it was'nt too hard to figure out.  The first camp I came across served as my tutorial since they did'nt shoot back (good thing) so I took my time with it and figured out how to call in artillery even though it was tempting to just use the FFAR's<span id='postcolor'>

First of all I have to say I loved the briefing and overview screens! They are great and very informative!

Then to the mission: Scouting with the Kiowa is a really new experience, it`s like sneaking through the landscape in 18 feet above ground with 50kph. Gives a nice chopper view, better than that in a Apache, Hind or Cobra. What I also liked was, that your pilot is more vulnerable than in one of these heavier armored choppers.

My first attempt to play the mission ended tragically... I was heading south from my takeoff point in 13 feet above ground, when suddenly a tree appeared in my way. He stood afterwards, me not...  sad.gif

My second try brought me to a stationary MG with guy behind it and some more in the forest. I marked him, then flew aside maybe 200 meters and tried to call in the artillery. That guy cracked my frontwindow with his MG and killed me. Next thing is my chopper trambling in the sea...

On my third try the nasty MG hit me instantly with the second bullet, again killing me and leaving the chopper almost unharmed.  confused.gif

Guess I have to sneak more and fly even lower  biggrin.gif

Very good mission Cumboy, looking forward to playing longer this weekend!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ May 24 2002,08:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My second try brought me to a stationary MG with guy behind it and some more in the forest. I marked him, then flew aside maybe 200 meters and tried to call in the artillery. That guy cracked my frontwindow with his MG and killed me. Next thing is my chopper trambling in the sea...<span id='postcolor'>

He got me, too! I was just cruising over the coast road at 18-20 kph when I spotted the campfire on the forrest's edge on the west coast.

I stopped and hovered and only then did the M2 let me have it.

Impressive mission.

Getting shot and wounded/killed as pilot reminds me to the old Gunship or LHX times biggrin.gif

Makes choppering even more thrilling!!

i finished the mission a few hours ago,

try #1:

I lifted off and flew over the road, i saw a fire burning in the forest, i flew to it and the M2 fired at me i took some dammage but i wasn't injured smile.gif

I flew 150 metres back and to 10 feet above the ground so that the 2 couldn't hit me, because he's on higher ground.

I used the artillery and i clear everything smile.gif

After that I flew to lamentin, i flew very low and fast when suddely a telephone pool showed up, i tried to fly higher but i crashed against the pool sad.gif mission failed

try #2:

i cleared the camp in the forest pretty easy and i searched for more camps i found a few camps and patrols and cleared them and i could go back home (i could take those camps out easy because now i could use my artillery fast)

2nd part of the mission, i searched for camps 15 minutes when i flew over an forest and i saw a fire, the a10's came in and the camp burned smile.gif

the city wasn't to hard and i clear almost all soldiers with my ffar so the my friends could kill the remaining ones

i got back and the last part was there, i reloaded my ffars with ammotruck and i attacked the enemy forces with my ffar and a ah64 as a partner i didn't have any trouble. i cleared the north hill easy with the help of hellfire rockets from ah64

the other hill i used remaining ffar and his remaining hellfire

also the artillery helped me (fly over soldiers, then press 1-1-1 and boom!wink.gif

so i cleared everything smile.gif nice mission one thing,

cumboy, maybe you should add some soldiers in le moule because they took that village, or any other villages

Thanx avon. I use getright too. I wonder what the prob there was.

Anyway. The mission is very good. I've only had one attempt at it yet, and only found 2 camps and 2 patrols. I couldn't find a third camp. I gonna keep at it though.

You keep at it too cumboy. Excellent stuff.

Great mission.. of the standard I wish I could make..

One of the best I have played.

On my first attempt I was killed by the M2 on the edge of the forest... I was hovering above and out towards the road, marked the camp... called in the artillery, one round at a time... and then suddenly noticed that the M2 wasn't firing... I moved closer, dipped lower... and that is when it opened up... one small burst. Straight into my pilot... down went the bird undamaged.