Sign in to follow this  
5LEvEN

Player Leveling

No level system, please. It would really lower the quality of multiplayer in ArmA. People would only focus on rank and not teamplay!

A rank system can be scripted right into the mission your playing, so one built into the game is not needed!

You can already check your stats for your current mission by pressing I.

Edited by Nicholas

We've already finished that discussion, dice.

It helps to actually read the first post.

I was surprised to see this thread revived, and then disappointed to see some of the replies.

It would appear that some people here don't seem to grasp the concept of having options.

Honestly, this elitist attitude has got to go and people here need to accept that their way of playing is not the only way.

You just described why I do not play MP.

Seems Arma tries to be as real as possible and yet you just described what makes consoles different from PCs. You are aware that in real life, even though Service Members do not join to earn Medals and Ranks, they are still awarded them for their training and accomplishments.

So, my question to you is, do you want Arma to be realistic or just a game that could be ported over to console and remain arcade-like with no connection to each mission?

I prefer it to be a Simulation of a possible Military Career, but sadly, it is not. Why would I play past 1 mission if my un-named player is not going to get better or even have the chance to have the squad progress in the war? Certainly not to just play yet another unconnected battle in a different location and different goals. All to what purpose?

Just so you know, I've served in the U.S. Air Force and that's why I prefer the career aspect. It gives you an avatar you can actually care about, especially if there are no re-spawns.

Sounds like your a typical American (I'm American too just FYI) that needs to be told hes doing a good job all the time. Thats all Achievements in games are, a constant "Wow, your so amazing!" factor that pleases people with low self worth. I don't know about you, but I don't need a game to tell me when I do good, or I achieve something.

Anyway, what you describe sounds like a single player game. Its obvious MP is not your thing, and never will be... which kinda makes me wonder why your even commenting on an MP based thread. There is simply no way (especially in ArmA) for every single MP battle you play in to be connected. One mission might be a simple TDM, another might be a massive CTI battle, and yet another might be some custom RPG mission that has nothing to do with war what so ever. How do you expect all of those missions could be connected to the same "war", with the same purpose? Its not possible in ArmA with the wide variety of user made missions (which is actually what makes PC games different then console games... user made content, and freedom).

To that end, its not really possible in ANY game thats not an MMO, like WW2 Online. In COD and Battlefield you just go from one map to another playing some version of TDM. There is absolutely no connection or carry over from one mission to the next. Yeah, sure those games let you unlock things and amass rewards/medals/achievements but that does not make every battle you fight connected. So really your asking for a game that pretty much does not exist, aside from the ONE massive world FPSMMO war game I mentioned before.

In the end, ArmA is a semi-realistic combat simulator... its not Sim Soldier. Its combat environment is what is meant to be more realistic then most other games, not its "soldier experience".

As for your other comment:

I'm guessing that many do not want Ranks or Awards because those are things that are earned with achievement and hard work as well as taking time, not just given away. Life is not easy, I would like a Combat sim to reflect that.

Have you ever even played FPS's? The VAST VAST VAST majority of Ranks/Rewards/Achievements in games are extremely easy to get. In COD for example you can unlock everything on a character in a day your two... Id call that pretty easy to be honest.

It has nothing to do with it being "hard", it has to do with them not fitting into the ArmA series. Hell, ArmA has by far the toughest combat of any FPS I've ever played... so I'm sure the community has no problem with the game being hard. Its just that with the very wide variety of missions, and the fact that most missions people play are user made (if you can earn Ranks/Rewards on user made missions, people would simply exploit that and make missions intended to grind with ease)... theres just no room for Ranks/Rewards.

It seems like you want a game thats nothing like ArmA. You see realism and you want the game to be both a combat simulator, and military career builder... which its not, and its clear the majority of the community doesn't want it that way.

Assume setSkill array could be written to player character in a way that it had effect. Hell, it could even be configured as part of player profile and activated via missions that wanted it. The idea being that you have x number of points to put into your various skills, just like a typical RPG. The current skills are as follows:

aimingAccuracy

aimingShake

aimingSpeed

endurance

spotDistance

spotTime

courage

reloadSpeed

commanding

general

So, my questions are:

1) What skills are missing in that list? Could be anything from sprint speed to pain tolerance.

2) What would be useful applications of the various items? Note that the various aiming skills could be mission specific to separate various weapon types or families. Like, you're an excellent sniper but will have a hard time acquiring an IR target using a Stinger.

This is of course all just speculation, and I don't really expect any of this to be implemented for a while.

CarlGustaffa's got the right idea. Those skills (and proficiencies in various types of weapons) would be an excellent base for some sort of leveling system.

I think if people want leveling, BIS should provide us more functions so we can modify stuff such as playerArmor, playerAccuracy, etc and then we can script systems into our missions.

I don't want a forced leveling system though.

I think if people want leveling, BIS should provide us more functions so we can modify stuff such as playerArmor, playerAccuracy, etc and then we can script systems into our missions.

I don't want a forced leveling system though.

While it could be scripted, it could be better done if implemented in the engine. IMO a good implementation would to tie it to CfgIdentities (or something similar) so it can be optionally applied to units (either player or AI). I imagine it would could work on a campaign level rather than entirely global or just limited to single missions.

We've already finished that discussion, dice.

It helps to actually read the first post.

Then lock the thread. I can still continue to add my thoughts to the idea of a leveling system if I please. Would you rather have me create a new thread instead? Oh, wait, I'd get bitched at for that too!

Leveling system will degrade the quality of multiplayer. Ranking structures have already been implemented into game modes like Domination. OFP and ArmA 1 never had a ranking system. Why do we really need one now?

Edited by Nicholas

I think it might be cool for arma 3 to have a MP leveling system. In the system you would unlock gear/weapons. It would not matter what MP mode you play, so both (pvp, coop, ect) will level your character up. It would distinguish veteran arma players from the grunts, and give everyone something to work towards (other than the main objective of the mission). The system would most likely resemble rainbow six's leveling system.

EDIT

This idea is not going to work, thus I have given up on it within the first few pages of this thread. So please stop posting hate like a bunch of kids.

A leveling system does not mean this game is now like BF or CoD. I hope this game stays clear of being like those two. I suggested a simple idea, and I am taking a lot of flak for it now. I really don't see why you guys even post. Most of these post are not even constructive, they are just insults or trying to make fun of me. When I posted this I had no thoughts of BF or CoD yet you guys have to suggest or compare this idea to making arma like BF or CoD. I am not a Developer at BIS, thus I am not saying "this will be in the game". You guys are acting like BIS announced this feature in their game... I honestly thought the Arma community was more mature than the BF or CoD community, but I was wrong. Just look at what you guys post.

i would like to see a sort of leveling system only for a few things.

like flying choppers online.

It actually would be kind of interesting to have skills that could increase over time. But then again, there's the problem of what if you wanted to play a grunt as one game, but a bad-ass navy SEAL with tons of skill next? You would want full skill on everything, for realism.

It actually would be kind of interesting to have skills that could increase over time. But then again, there's the problem of what if you wanted to play a grunt as one game, but a bad-ass navy SEAL with tons of skill next? You would want full skill on everything, for realism.

You seem to have missed something here. That is exactly the benefit of this system. Playing as a grunt: player is given a character with lower skill level, playing as a SEAL: give him one with higher skill. IMO the leveling/skill persistance should be limited to within campaigns (and among the same characters).

Oh right. Yes it would definitely be an interesting concept for all mission, especially campaign, makers.