Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

How to pin drives to the task bar (Windows 7)

Hi everyone,

(I know this isn't the best place to post this but I thought I'd share it anyway, maybe admins could make this in to a sticky thread because it’s quite useful.)

How to pin drives e.g. the P:\ drive to the task bar in Windows 7?

Ever wanted to pin the P:\ drive or any other drive to your task bar so you can access it quickly only to find out that you can't? Like this:

ng8gkldwjzp85th5udsr.jpg

Well I always wanted to but never got round to doing it until today, so I thought I'd share it with you, the solution is actually quite simple.

1) Create a shortcut to command prompt and place it in to some folder were it will be safe.

You can do this by going to Start > All programs > Accessories, then right clicking on command prompt and selecting Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) and moving the shortcut from your desktop manually.

(I placed mine in C:\Apps\Drive Shortcuts but you can place it anywhere you like.)

2) Now right click on the shortcut and type this in to the Target box

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "Drive letter/file location"

Change "Drive letter/file location" with the path to your drive or folder.

So if you want to pin the P:\ drive type this:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "P:\"

To pin the C:\ drive type this:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "C:\"

And you get the idea...

3) Change the icon of your shortcut by clicking the Change icon button.

e2uatdglwmb8yghbdc3o.jpg

Note: You can find drive icons in:

%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll

Just copy paste the link above in to the "Look for icons in this file" text box.

4) Once you have done this you should be left with something similar to this, then just drag the icon to your task bar to pin it.

nzh1dj5rvrk3h7cize0f.jpg

NOTE: Every time you modify the shortcut e.g. change its icon you will have to unpin it and pin it again. :cool:

Edited by -Martin-

Alternatively, you can also pin it to the right click menu of the Explorer icon on the TaskBar, saving another pinned icon :P