Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Pynchon

Hardware requirements?

So, I better do a good upgrade on my BF3 upgrade iteration :bounce3:

I would reiterate that it's just a bad idea to build a PC for a game released a year from now.

Someone mentioned GTX 560s above. Put into context (Arma 2 was released in 2009), that would be like having a midrange graphics card from 2008 for the Arma 2 release.

If you are happy with Arma 2 on an nVidia 8800 or ATI HD3870, then go ahead and spec your PC now. Even if there is less tech push on newer cards, there will be big price changes. Wait until it comes out, wait for benchmarks, and you'll end up with better graphics for less money playing Arma 3.

C

CPU: Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster

RAM: 2 GB

HDD: 15 GB free space

DVD: Dual Layer compatible

DirectX: 10

Hi folks!

Having played Flashpoint back in the day and being blown away by it, I'm keeping an eye on Arma2 and 3 alike. I'm also close to building a new system, as my AM2 system is starting to show its age. There are two paths: Going with an AM3+ board and a Phenom II 955BE - and a H61/67 and a Core i3 2100.

Does anybody have reports of whether Arma 3 might perform as well with Core i3 2100 processors as most of today's games do? It outperforms and matches the old Core 2 quads and many Phenoms II even in games that are supposed to be optimized for multiple cores:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/816-10/intel-core-i3-2100-lga-1155-sandy-bridge-dual-core.html

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/7

I'm not planning this to be a bonafide gaming build, but I wouldn't mind if by switching to a better video card the coming year Arma 3 would become playable too. Thanks!

Do you think I would be able to run the game with medium settings with my current rig?

i am certain it should do. The specs for A3 provided by bis is something between minimum and recommended anyways.

I would reiterate that it's just a bad idea to build a PC for a game released a year from now.

Someone mentioned GTX 560s above. Put into context (Arma 2 was released in 2009), that would be like having a midrange graphics card from 2008 for the Arma 2 release.

If you are happy with Arma 2 on an nVidia 8800 or ATI HD3870, then go ahead and spec your PC now. Even if there is less tech push on newer cards, there will be big price changes. Wait until it comes out, wait for benchmarks, and you'll end up with better graphics for less money playing Arma 3.

Very true. I'm going to upgrade my GPU next summer. By then we'll know more about how the game performs... I'm planning to stay on LGA 1366 at least for another 1,5-2 years. The i7 is still a powerfull CPU.

Don't forget that as of right now you can get a 5770 for $120-$150 (Australian assuming it's almost the same for US) so by the time this game comes out the minimum specs you could probably get for around $500