Sign in to follow this  
dysta

Weapons and bullets conditions

Dare to ask something if BIS is actually mind if weapons still be vulnerable by lacking of care and repair, like some kind of game call S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or FarCry 2. I mean, new weapons works like a charm in every ways, but the old, rusty or dirty one may suffering some mechanic problem, jamming, cracking, or even unusable and possible to blow up the own gun in extreme.

I wonder if future weapons is really "advanced" to eliminate such problems I mentioned above, forget about these then.

However one other issue must not avoid, is the quality and stability of different cartridges, even the same kind or caliber. Like 5.56x45mm have old-fashion bullet used in .nam, or some race-graded bullets used for either Olympic Games or sniping. There are different stability of velocity and bullet mass to achieve different effect on a same target.

Some really old bullets aren't waterproof. when in watered it will possibly disabled and cannot be fired. But some high-grade military only rounds can able to maintain maximum performance (even have to suffering a bit of instability since these bullets are not exactly the same amount of powder, like 900 to 950 m/s for 5.56x45mm M855). It has a game used this way call Metro 2033, rusty 5.45 deal with less damage and accuracy while the military grade have much better performances.

I know this question may looks really stupid if it's for the military simulation. But I think it's somehow not exactly to be lucky when you have a bad condition weapon and bullets to deal with advanced soldiers.

Critique of my viewpoint is welcome.

I don't think a military game is really the place for ammunition condition, although maybe weapons could be damage via script in the editor to have increased jam rates and dispursion. This may be cool for those guerilla style missions.

Although I am 100% behind REALISTIC weapon jams and overheating (as in increased weapon smoke and dispursion after firing heaps, machine guns have more resistance to overheating because of heavier barrels.).

And one more thing:

Don't even think about the M855 anymore. It was a shityy round that relied on yaw to fragment and performed inconsistantly and regularilly shockingly. This is 2011 and that problem has been fixed with the M855A1 EPR, not yaw dependednt, fragments at lower speeds, larger wound profile, penetration better than that of the m80 7.62x51mm nato and improved accuracy. That right there is consistant awesome performance :D

Ah, thanks for the fast response. I really should forget about these overrated cartridges used in 90s or older.

The weapon damage can be achieved by scripting is pretty nice and simple, and I agree that using Heavy Barreled weapon can reduce the overheating cause to jam or something. However will that possible that some attachments like scopes or lasers also need to be cared as well? I'm afraid I will not too eager to fight with a broken EOTech and PEQ8 when night-fighting.

Yeah ASC mod did somethign like that, I would check it out but my clan doesn't use random mods.

It would be nice to include this and a weight system, but this makes the game overcomplicated (even more than it already is) and may scare the newcomers.

But I'm all for it if it's optional for the player, coming disabled in the vanilla game.

Also, I don't see how a cleanance system could be implemented in the game, as it's done while out of the action, unless it's not up to the player in the SP campaign.

Would be good to have a slider for weapon condition in the editor, as we currently have 'ammo', 'fuel' etc. Modelling of weapon jamming would be fine. An animation for clearing the jam would be even better, but might make it harder to mod new weapons into the game.

Would be a poor approach to merely make OPFOR's weapons more likely to jam than the Western ones.

Ah, great. The condition setting may looks a bit too tough, when a player facing jamming problem all too sudden.

What about the unstable nuzzle velocity cause by cartridge? I know the previous ARMA have nuzzle velocity with fixed speed instead of various changes.

And one more thing:

Don't even think about the M855 anymore. It was a shityy round that relied on yaw to fragment and performed inconsistantly and regularilly shockingly. This is 2011 and that problem has been fixed with the M855A1 EPR, not yaw dependednt, fragments at lower speeds, larger wound profile, penetration better than that of the m80 7.62x51mm nato and improved accuracy. That right there is consistant awesome performance :D

Something tells me the Taki guerrillas still use the old kind.

Something tells me the Taki guerrillas still use the old kind.

Maybe they'll also have some "A-brand", "B-brand", "R-brand", or whatever kinds of bullets messed together for a magazine. Which is the result may extremely vary.

ACE mod has weapon jamming due to overuse.

That's more than enough.

Stalker and Far Cry 2 are not realistic examples

ACE mod has weapon jamming due to overuse.

That's more than enough.

Stalker and Far Cry 2 are not realistic examples

I understand, that's why I rather not mention too much about the gun damaging part.

Right now I am focusing the different quality/kind of bullets for weapons instead.