Sign in to follow this  
dito_lesto

CUDA support or at least CPU optimization

Just saw the announcement...

I can only say wow! but hey then in the boards all those people talking about video cards?????

ARMA IS ALL ABOUT CPU!!!

so since you are in a development phase, could it be a good idea to implement CUDA inside the game just for the AI? i mean i have a spare CUDA card around , and everyone can pick one up for like 50 bucks, can we put all the AI and calculations on that CUDA CHIP???

that way is optimization, because even today the difference between a thousand dollar cpu and a 400$ one is like 3-4 fps? let's do the things wisely.

No thanks, OpenCL or DirectCompute would be a way better option than CUDA

CUDA is a stupid Nvidia-only gimmick. DirectCompute is a better option because it works on ALL cards that support DX10/11.

At first I was scared when I read that they were using Physx in the press release, because that normally means Physx features would only work properly on Nvidia cards because it was only optimised for their GPUs and not for CPUs.

However I read that the later SDK versions of Physx support CPUs properly (SSE instruction set, automatic multi-threading) so I feel a little better. I just hope the game will not need an Nvidia card to run because of some stupid proprietary technology.

CUDA is a stupid Nvidia-only gimmick. DirectCompute is a better option because it works on ALL cards that support DX10/11.

At first I was scared when I read that they were using Physx in the press release, because that normally means Physx features would only work properly on Nvidia cards because it was only optimised for their GPUs and not for CPUs.

However I read that the later SDK versions of Physx support CPUs properly (SSE instruction set, automatic multi-threading) so I feel a little better. I just hope the game will not need an Nvidia card to run because of some stupid proprietary technology.

Hi, no you wont need a NVidia card to use the in-game PhysX.

_neo_

Hi, no you wont need a NVidia card to use the in-game PhysX.

_neo_

I know you won't but some games that feature Physx will only run properly if used with an Nvidia card. I'm probably just thinking of the old version of Physx where it was pretty much a GPU-only technology. I don't think I've seen a game use the latest Physx SDK version yet so I hope BIS can prove me wrong.

I know you won't but some games that feature Physx will only run properly if used with an Nvidia card. I'm probably just thinking of the old version of Physx where it was pretty much a GPU-only technology. I don't think I've seen a game use the latest Physx SDK version yet so I hope BIS can prove me wrong.

If you have a CUDA enabled GPU (NVidia), the physX will be processed in your GPU, but if you dont have a Nvidia card with CUDA enabled, it will be your CPU that will make the PhysX possible.

In theory, with a CUDA enabled GPU, you'll have smother framerates.

_neo_

it's not physics that slows down this game. it's AI operations