Sign in to follow this  
skruis

Any demand for a vanilla ARMA II 12-15 player coop server?

I've been thinking about throwing up a small Arma II server running basic coop maps (20+ AI with timed infantry reinforcements) for 12-15 people and letting it run 24/7. I've got a 5 Mbps (up) connection and a spare core 2 quad computer but I wanted to have a sanity check moment and get your opinions.

1 - Given the connection and a core 2 quad 2.4Ghz, is that feasable?

2 - Do you think this is something that's "in demand" or will I just be wasting my time sitting alone in a near empty server?

3 - If I would be wasting my time, is there something similar that already exists that accepts casual gamers? I was involved in a clan/league/whatever for Arma 1 and there was a lot of pressure to be heavily involved and while I appreciate the quality of the gaming that comes with playing with such committed players, I would also be satisfied by playing with less serious players who play semi-regularly.

Thanks for your help

There has been talk on the forums about doing a possible "New guy" server to help them get use to playing multiplayer and to cure the cod, battle field kiddies. This might be good for you as it will.need very good admins to help teach them about game types and addon ect ect.

Treating new players as kiddies who need to be "cured" will not gain you any players, that's for sure. Cut the elitist bullshit :rolleyes:

There's servers that suit semi-serious casual co-opping very well. CiA and Zeus for example. You need to be on TS3 and download this and that, but it's not like devoting your life to a religious cult or anything.

Treating new players as kiddies who need to be "cured" will not gain you any players, that's for sure. Cut the elitist bullshit :rolleyes:

That kiddie remark was for the COD and Battlefield players. Please read before making remarks. COD and BF players tend to run and gun and act like kids so they get treated like kids.

As for elitist it is nice to see your jumping on the latest cliche in the forums and are a true team player. :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm not dyslexic. I just think it's a horrible attitude, regardless of the new player's gaming preference.

I know several people who are both older and more mature than I am who play really gamey games like COD and BF but can't stand simesque gaming like Arma. And in the end, we're all adults who play video games so what right do we have to call anyone kiddies :p

Ok, I don't want this discussion to get hijacked by the viewpoint that I'm thinking about hosting a "newbie" server. If new players would like play on it, that's fine but that wouldn't be the intended purpose. Without getting into an entire debate, I'll simply acknowledge that there are players like me that don't want to deal with mod compatibility/dependency issues and just want to play the game as it is because we're more casual.

With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to put up a small server that would run appropriately sized coop missions. That way, the server will have a "function" if only 1 or 2 players are playing at any given time.

CiA? A casual coop? lol

Off-topic chitchat in

Yeah. I think this style of play is best described as casual coop. You don't need to be a member and attend regularly, or pass a basic training, combat drills and marksman test to play, like some realism units, squads and what have you. You simply download addons, join TS3, and then play whenever you feel like it. You do have to follow some simple orders or lead a squad, otherwise you couldn't really even call it "co-operation" at all.

But sure, nowadays with missions like Evolution and Domination the term can have a whole new level of meaning. That is, if you argue on calling them coop, instead of RPG missions that I think they are. These missions used to not exist (oh the good old times :)).

@ skruis

There are a lot of servers out there that sit idle for most of their life.

Aiming at running a server for the casual gamer I suspect, is going to end up the same way.

The casual gamers that you are aiming at are exactly as you stated "Casual". They dont regularly try to play and there wont be enough online at any one time logging onto the same server to make the cost both in time and money in running a dedicated server worth it.

If your real intention is to create a small community that meet up a couple of times a week, then thats a completely different scenario and although your intention at present would be to run a vanilla server, i can assure you, eventually you will start using addons or mods as nearly every other community out there does already

Good luck anyway