Sign in to follow this  
frankchickens

Bizzare Interface Issues (NON GRAPHICAL)!

Hi , I am having some major issues with ARMA2 that I just cant get my head around at all. (got graphics working ok despite my crap computer)

Firstly, when I try to start a campaign it is impossible.

1) I click start, then choose difficulty, then it takes me back to click start, then choose difficulty, and so on, Its an endless cycle until the aircaft carrier in the background goes white and the game crashes.

I thought this was maybe because you had to do boot camp first,

2) but when I do boot camp levels it doesnt keep any record Iv completed them, the little box stays empty

3) When doing a boot camp or side mission, when I click save game it says saving game please wait. When I click 'suspend' it says saving game please wait. There is no way to exit back to the menu, so I have to ctrl+alt+del to leave.

Any help would be much appreciated! (Please!)

Welcome to the forums, are you sure it installed properly we're you doing anything like a virus scan or something in the background when installing, as a last resort try a re-install and see if that fixes it

Edited by ArmAriffic

Sounds like the game is unable to write to disk.

Are you running Windows Vista or 7? If so, have you tried starting the game in Administrator mode?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I will try a re-install. I got it from steam and im currently in China, Hopefully i won't have to redownload, it took a day before!

I'm using windows xp.... Is this the problem? The game appears to work fine apart from the issue I said. Ill try finding administrator mode and giving that ago.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I will try a re-install. I got it from steam and im currently in China, Hopefully i won't have to redownload, it took a day before!

I'm using windows xp.... Is this the problem? The game appears to work fine apart from the issue I said. Ill try finding administrator mode and giving that ago.

In that case, don't reinstall the game just yet. If everything else works fine, your install is probably okay. And since you got Arma2 from Steam, you could always run an integrity check instead of reinstalling the whole thing.

Your problem seems to be of a different nature though. The game is failing to write savegames to disk, meaning that it's either being run without sufficient rights, or something is blocking it (security software for example).

Iv done the verification check.

I also went into my steam folder and steamapps folder , then properties, then under the security tab I made sure everyone can do everything, but the game is still baking up a custard pie.

Its frustrating becuase I can sense its a really interesting game but its hard to get into it when all I can do is side missions and boot camp that I cant save.

In fact, everytime I start the game it is back to new, things like graphics and head bob just reset.

I don't know how to run administrator mode. I tried googling it but im a total noob and couldnt make sense of the replies. Anyone able to help with that?

Im on XP

rightclick on the launch icon on your desktop and select run as admin

I use steam, so when I tried putting ARMA2 on desktop that wasnt an option.

I tried to run steam in this way but it didnt let me because it wouldnt accept blank passwords.

Im going for a full re-download, to see if that helps.

Today I completed one of the side missiony type things, but when the menu comes up the box isnt ticked or anythign, should it be or has my achievement been wiped?

Check that your ArmA2 folder under 'documents' is not set to 'read only' ;)

I don't have any ARMA 2 file in my documents.

Is this because Im using steam or should I create one.

I tried setting everything in steamapps to not read only, but when i run the game it has same problem, and then when I quit the game every folder has reset itself to being read only

Your My Documents folder should have an Arma 2 folder...that's where it keeps your game settings and saved games/missions. It should be created automatically.

My guess is you DON'T have admin privileges, so the game can not write anything to your My Documents folder.

Any advice on how i can fix that?

The admin user is the only user on windows.

Iv now gone into my c: drive / properties and then on the security tab said that everyone can do everything, but I have a sneaky feeling the computer will override itself someho

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Whenever I set any folder on my computer to not be read-only the computer takes 1 minute to complete the process, but then when i click on properties again it goes straight back to read only

Everything is as that webpage said it should be.

Now on my 3rd attempt at a (very slow) redownload, although it definitely doesnt look like thats even whats wrong, I'm pretty convinced its this admin issue, as I had problems with another game Call of Juarez where it said could not write to disk.

Does anyone know how to solve the admin issue?

would it be possible for me to create the proper folders in my documents?

Or would this be useless if the game didnt know they were there.....

If anyone thinks it would help could they send a list of the required ones

Thanks again

any screenshots of the problem ?