Sign in to follow this  
iicecube

The function key in OA

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to this forum but my friend told me to ask question over here, so i hope i can find out some answer over here.

Okie, recently bought the game while i playing it with some modded mission or whatever player created map or even in official map, i found out that when you press F5 for "call support", it alway give me a answer "Negative" even support ammo, or whatever support also the same result. I wonder how do i activate them to make it work so that i can use it for my player made building mission?

Another question is the artillery function also wont work almost i tried most of the mission even i can build artillery in the map or even the command post centre or somethign it called, also do nothing at all.

I hope that is there a mod file can really activate those option will be greatly appreciate, i really feel bored when that is nothing i can do as a leader or officer but just running & shoot & command team to that place.

watch this video to learn how to set up arty strikes in a player created mission.

Hmm you mean i need to implement the artillery in other people created map? I mean i also cant access to created map by other and edit the script in..

Like those domination map also i cant even shoot the artillery as well, when it keep showing "warning".. By the way do i need arma 2 to get the artillery to work?

"F5" means you have selected soldier 5.

"5" Opens the communications menu.

Support is never available unless it you know it was already available at the start of the mission.

-

SIMPLE MORTAR TUTORIAL

(vanilla Comb Ops 1.57)

In the Editor, select the Takistan map and place a man anywhere-

AA-mt1a.jpg

Then place a mortar near him (make sure a blue line connects both units, indicating the mortar is under your control)

AA-mt2.jpg

Hit 'Preview' and look around to check the mortars there; it can be safely out of sight of the enemy because it doesn't need to be able to see the enemy-

AA-mt3.jpg

Move around til you see something you'd like to bombard, such as these airfield buildings. The mortar has a range of about 3 miles.

AA-mt4.jpg

Hit F1 to select the mortar, then roll your mouse wheel to highlight 'Fire at Position', then zoom with '+' (numpad) if you like, and left-click the mouse.

AA-mt6.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

The mortar will fire 4 rounds in quick succession and their time in flight can be around 20 seconds so be patient and you'll see them plaster the target like this.

Note they probably won't all hit the exact same spot but will scatter slightly-

AA-mt7.jpg

The mortar starts with 8 shots, so let's drop the remaining 4 into that compound-

AA-mt8.jpg

The mortar icon later turns orange to indicate out of ammo-

AA-mt9.jpg

After the dust clears, the compound is looking battered-

AA-mt10.jpg

Alternatively you can use the map to call in mortars, just place the red crosshairs on whatever you want to plaster (such as this large hangar) and left click. The advantage is that you don't have to see the target, it can be on the other side of a mountain etc

AA-mt14.jpg

..and the hangar gets it-

AA-mt12.jpg

NOTE- You can also place several mortars instead of just one and either fire them individually, or fire them all together for maximum effect

PS:- MORE SENSATIONAL TESTS etc at The Few Good Men Club- http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forumdisplay.php?123-Armed-Assault-II

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Another question is the artillery function also wont work almost i tried most of the mission ............

In Bootcamp, there is a lesson on how to call in mortar, artillery support.

Try that first.

-

Yes the Bootcamp lesson shows us how to whistle up support, but it uses pre-written scripts and ready-deployed modules and all that jazz.

My mortar tutorial cuts through that stuff by showing noobs how to simply and quickly place units on the map and use them with a minimum of fuss without the need for any steenking scripts and modules..;)

PS:- For newcomers the old military maxim 'KISS' holds good for playing AA2- (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

I mean guys most of those command i know, but i wonder how do i implement it on other people map or those map that is build by someone else..

I also wanna to know if it possible to open someone map than add in the function in as well.. I mean it really boring running around the map which only me and nothing else i can do as a commander is pretty stupid as dull.

..I also wanna to know if it possible to open someone map than add in the function in as well...I mean it really boring running around the map which only me and nothing else i can do as a commander is pretty stupid as dull.

I think there's a way to open other peoples maps but I don't know how because I create all my own maps, it's so easy..:)

For example in my mortar tutorial I could add a platoon of enemy infantry to defend the airfield, and add a tank or armoured car, it only takes 5 minutes to do all that and voila! you've created a game of your own..:)

You can only use Artillery and Supports if it is implemented in the mission you are playing. Some Missions do have those features, others don't. It all depends on the mission maker and his design decisions. As an example: if someone makes a spec Ops mission where you have to be sneaky, it would be pretty stupid to implement Artillery.

In the majority of the missions you are a squad Leader. That means you can order your men to do stuff for you. Thats still more than most other shooter let you do.

If you really want to play missions with the really big guns, simply make your own. Its really easy and takes only a couple of minutes when you get some experience

@ Pooroldspike & Tonci87

That the problem of experience when i not very clear about Arma 2 scripting and how it work, that why it is sad that the game need to do it on my own to enable me to play with my concept.

I not saying snerky map is bad but i feel like walking over a 1000-5000km doing the map like felt boring and doing over again as the MP game all quite lag to me due to my distance of country 250ms above and mostly 400-500ms to have good huge team to play with.

So what are you mainly interested in? MP Mission or SP Missions?

My main interested will be LAN and between my friends which able to play in lag free of the game either in SP or MP as well..

Like i wanna to know, how to apply a spawn point for US and TK in a map i also not very clear.. (A kind of circle thing in the map itself which manage the spawn point at the location)

I'm new to arma got a module with support and the big arty guns and the secops manager and all that, but your way looks a lot easier.

If you mean make it where you can call in support while your on an MP server, it's impossible. If the mission the server is running doesn't have support, you can't add it.

This isn't CoD where you unlock support every few kills. :)

Yes, its all about mission design. If the mission autor doesn´t wan´t you to have support, then you have to find other ways to kill your enemys. Always calling in Arty on them would be to easy anyway ;)

If you decide to make your own missions, you can do whatever you want.

Here is a place where you will find help if you want to make your own missions

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

..If the mission autor doesn´t wan´t you to have support, then you have to find other ways to kill your enemys. Always calling in Arty on them would be to easy anyway ;)

Right, that's why small on-map 81mm mortars are ideal, as there's always a chance their shells won't have killed all the enemy, so you have to be careful when you take your men in to mop up after a bombardment.

To recap what I said in my Tutorial earlier in this thread- An 81 mortar comes with 8 shots and has a range of about 3 miles, so work out how you're going to ration its shells during the mission, eg 4 on a suspicious building and the other 4 on a wood.

And of course you can have more than 1 mortar to whistle up more bombardments when you encounter resistance as you move around the map.