Sign in to follow this  
victim913

Can a Scud get shot down?

Pretty self explanatory. Here's the situation;

Flying a typhoon or grippen or something, can I lock on to a scud missle after it's been launched?

I know the scuds fire pretty high since the place it needs to land is pretty close, but it should give me enough time to try to get a heat lock while it's in the air somewhere.

Thanks

it should give me enough time to try to get a heat lock while it's in the air somewhere.

Heat lock?!?!

In the vanilla game, not possible

I believe with the Mando Missile Addon you can

With mando missile you can as long as you have an antimissile capable system, usually SAMs or CIWS guns. Typhoon or Grippen cannot lock on them, Ikar's F14 can with the AIM54, while its anti-ICBM capability is limted.

Heat lock?!?!

What I think he means is an Infared missile lock... they're based off of heat signatures. But like the other guys said, you can't shoot down the SCUD. It's just an animation.

In reality you have not got a hope in hell of hitting a Scud save at the very start of its flight or the very end (IE Patriot missile). Ballistic missiles tend to fly very high and very fast over a long distance, perhaps way beyond the radar or missile capabilities of most fighter aircraft. A typical SAM or CIWS hasn't got a hope in hell. A Scud is not an air breathing cruise missile which behaves more like a very small aircraft.