Sign in to follow this  
HULL_CREATURE

OA Insurgency Dedicated Server issues

G’day All,

I did post this on another part of this site, but to response as yet.

Myself and a mate have had a few problems with a dedicated server (16 slotter) that we have started, and it is hosted by Hypernia.

We are trying to get Insurgency 0.72 to work. Everything looks to be fine on the server end, eg server config server command line, and Hypernia has advised us multiple times that everything is OK at their end. But these problems still exist.

The problems are in game and sometimes do not show up for 5-10 mins, sometime the problem start as soon as the map begins. They comprise of the following (that we aware off).

1. Some enemy just will not die. Unless a 40mm is used (and sometimes this does not work either).

2. Re-spawn at base for no reason at all. Sometimes after driving for only 100mts or so.

3. Unable to enter any vehicle after re-spawning (weather killed by enemy or re-spawning at base).

4. Unable to see other players at times even if they are standing right in front of you.

5. Unable to hear other players fire weapons (no bullet strikes or explosions seen as well from said other player).

However, when we start a map through the server browser (with the Insurgency map), all is ok and we play for hours. No issues at all.

We have replaced the pbo maps on the Hypernia server to try and combat this problem, but to no joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to help us figure this out.

Cheers Jason AKA HULL_CREATURE

And Steve AKA blood4odin

At least 4 of those points could be down to lag, (could be) 1,3,4,5 have you tried to run any other missions ? to see if it is server or mission fault ?

As other mentioned except for 2. it's all due to lag, jitter and/or packet loss.

2. Re-spawn at base for no reason at all. Sometimes after driving for only 100mts or so.

I've seen the root cause for this and fixed it.

To be honest we much prefer 0.72 as the changes made in 0.75 have basically made it just another coop every man for himself slaughter regarding the restrictions placed on human enemy and how they are rendered useless depending on how many blufor connect and then disconnect. was much better when human enemy could hold there spot regardless of how many blu disconnected because 1:4 ratio to join was just right.

but regarding the server issues i found this in another thread """""Yeah VMA will be shifting at the end of the month. Hypernia have a host specific connectivity issue which arose only recently. If you connect through certain ISPs some server to client data transfers don't work. This results in you becoming invisible or getting stuck in vehicles"""""

and 0.75 has the same problems as well so i think we've pretty much narrowed it down to the host's end, its such a shame there arnt more server host companies out there for OA.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Thanks for everybodies input, much appreciated, and cheers fireball for ironing out the bugs for the new 0.75 but the human enemy part of Insurgency that i mentioned above is one of its core aspects.

Just a heads up for anyone else having dramas we got it sorted.

Turns out Hypernia is running combined ops only servers so i found a company in america that hosts just stand alone OA servers and have just finnished a 6 hour session with none of the above problems mentioned even with the server loacted in San Jose with a ping of between 180-300 and 11 guys in, most from australia to.

So i dont really know the specifics(maybe cuz insurgency .72 was specifically re-written for OA) of why but perhaps the Combined Ops was a good idea in theory but in real life was more hassle than its worth.

Either way everything is working fine now.

and 0.75 has the same problems as well so i think we've pretty much narrowed it down to the host's end, its such a shame there arnt more server host companies out there for OA.

We are now using Gameservers, after playing both versions of this mission on a dedicated box, compared to using a provider, I do not see a difference.

They set us up with A2+OA and will set up any mods we wish to use.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

Funny you mention that SWAT, in the process of getting one setup thru gameservers as well running out of sydney, more of a curiousity thing because they are only doing the a2+oa like hypernia so interested to see if i get the same problems with the combined setup, i now know the stand alone works fine so if this combined setup works with gameservers then perhaps it is a technical issue that was mentioned above with the other hoster. now if they could just make it as simple as the good old cod4 days wouldnt that be lovely :-)