Sign in to follow this  
LaughingPineapple

ARMA 2 Sniper Ballistics Question

I was playing ARMA 2 the other day and was sniping on a server and found another enemy sniper looking away from me, that I found was a ridiculous 1900 meters away. I was thinking whether or not to try to shoot, then I remembered I don't know the ballistics I should go by. I then decided to shoot 1 bullet to see where that goes, then correct the shot using that. When I fired, I found the bullet landed a good 5 meters away from him, and corrected the shot as I wanted to, and it was a hit.

But I want to know if there is anyway I can calculate ballistics so I can get it in 1 shot. I tried the technique a few times after and none of them worked, because the shot landed in front of them so the enemy quickly got up and ran for cover.

Yeah, if you understand mildots and American/Soviet scopes then you can be accurate on the first shot.

Of course, I don't think this method will work with ranges like 1900 meters, and if he's 682m away, there's nothing you can do but guess.

For a complete sniping experience with scope adjustments, realistic dispersion, bipods, spotting scopes and windage, install ACE 2.

Long range engagements in Co-op with a friend as sniper and me as spotter... Good times :)

ACE is the way to go.

SNIPER RIFLE TESTS: M107

Also known as the Barrett .50cal. There's also an M107 TWS (Thermal Weapon Sights) version

Using the bipod ensures steadiness of aim-

snip1-1.jpg

I set up the test on the desert map to guarantee an unobstructed line of sight. Also the puffs of dust from near misses will help me range in.

snip2.gif

The target (single man) is circled but invisible to our naked eyeball at 1km-

snipz-1.jpg

But zooming in (hold right mouse button) reveals his presence-

snip4-1.jpg

Looking through the sights-

snip5.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

And we can zoom them further by holding the RM butt again like this.

After a couple of shots fell short, I try this elevation and BANG!-

snip6.jpg

Down he goes-

snip7.jpg

SUMMARY:- If this elevation works for me, it should work for other people. (I'm vanilla Comb Ops 1.08/1.57)

(I know we can press keys to adjust the range so that we can lay the crosshairs smack on the target and get a kill but I'm too lazy to fiddle with that stuff)

snipk.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

For sure ACE 2 is the way to go for a realistic and fun sniper experience..

Is there any Sniper Shooting Ranges for ACE 2 or templates for making a sniper range...?

You have to wonder, for all the exquisite training and equipment modern snipers receive, there's no substitute for hundreds of hours of combat in the biggest war that's ever been. No wonder he's still got it.

Hi all

Daniel_Malloy created a full set of range correction tables for ArmA II a while back it is discussed in detail in this thread.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80754&highlight=range+tables

And is available as a PDF here.

http://wolverine.cameron.edu/~ac113448/ARMA2/ARMA2WeaponRangingAndCorrectionGuide.pdf

Kind Regards walker