Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Target vs. Engage vs. Attack

The latest beta patchlog says:

[78194] Changed: First click on a target from quick commanding menu now issues Target instead of Attack, second click issues Engage.

What does "target" do as compared to "attack"?

Target means they stay in position/formation and just keep an eye and a gun on that target. Engage means they break formation/position to move up to a point where they can shoot.

Cool. Thank you! :)

What is the advantage of "target"? If target is set, can the friendly unit engage that target quicker than if target wasn't set?

Or will they hold position and wait for the engage command?

Just guesses.

Edited by OMAC

one distinct advantage targets got over engage is the soldier wont break formation, but he will still shoot at the prescribed target.

usually when you issue an engage order, the soldier will break formation, and go out into a dangerous area exposing himself to a lot of threats.

This has nothing to do with Official Missions. This is a Beta question so it should be asked there.

Since you got it answered as well lets close this.

To add: Attack was Target + Engage. This was the default way in all versions until now from the quick commanding menu, the command was not available on the complex commanding menu. Attack will no longer be issued in 1.58, you will always issue Target, and Engage later.

Got it. Thank you very much for the info!

I had never seen "Target" before, so I thought that I had missed it in 1.57. Now I know it's a new feature. I'm playing the latest beta now, but haven't played any high command missions with it yet.

So if you "target" an enemy unit, I assume the selected friendly unit will use long-range fire to shoot at it, but stay in local formation. Engage will prompt breaking location and movement for close attack. If so, that seems like a GREAT IDEA and an excellent addition.

Keep up the good work, BI!! :D

Awesome that's another thing that bothered me. I liked distributing targets and then open fire. :)