Sign in to follow this  
BittleRyan

Design a budgeted computer

So, you have 1100-1300 dollars to spend on a new gaming computer. You need everything: Mouse, keyboard, monitor, Operating system, Microsoft word, etc.

The reason why I am asking this is I need a budget gaming computer to play arma 2 on. The computer I currently am on, can only play arma 2 on Very low, and then I have to change the default very low settings even lower. Still I only get 13 FPS.

Not worth playing if you ask me, So it is time to upgrade. What should the specifications be?

They all suck, really bad. More so, want windows 7 rather than XP, This computer is like 6 years old, I think. And about my keyboard... My old one broke, so I went dumpster diving at an office building and found the keyboard I am currently using...

It is time for an upgrade.

With so little money you should only upgrade what really needs to be upgraded. Xp stays, use open officie instead of MS office, keep your mouse, keyboard and monitor.

If you dont want to do that its best to stop trying to make a new gaming computer until you saved like 1000 more.

Thats at least my opinion, doing it anyway is really a waist of money as you will have to buy really cheap and old stuff making the new parts truly a waist of money. Its than really better to keep saving and continue using your old comp.

Most dedicated computer stores have nice systems pre-configured that you can tweak on their websites. You just pay a small fee for assembly.

I'm in Canada. NICIX is a good example of one.

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/

NCIX also allows uncensored comments under all products they sell so you can check out parts and read comments

from people who have bought the item and see what they think.

Linus who works at NCIX also does very honest, straight forward videos on Youtube

He demonstrates products with a no bullshit approach. No hard sell, no exagerations

and false claims.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

You pick a system and choose any custom options you like and they will build it for you

for a small fee. (Around $35 CAN)

There are plenty of Arma 2 Youtube videos with the specs of the systems in the video description area directly under the video area.

You also have to remember that most videos are made with FRAPS, so there is a performance hit right there.

Stay away from the Bigbox stores like Futureshop, Bestbuy and such and things should be fine.

Edited by jblackrupert