Sign in to follow this  
james mckenzie-smith

High Command Template mission: Load and unload vehs, and Wait/Proceed commands added

I have managed to slow down the breakneck pace of large HC operations using a trigger, that also allows the player to get units to mount and dismount assigned transports that are not in their actual groups, all while leaving every radio slot open for mission designers.

I have created the attached templates for one and all to use, and a sample (and enemy-free) scenario, whereby the player has access to the might of a US Armored battalion south of Zargabad. Sorry, it's OA only, but the templates should work in ArmA2.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnh7xtszbtmd4us

Doesn't work at all. You forgot to add to all HC modules' init

this setvariable ["chainofcommand",true];

By the way, what the manual have you used when were creating this template?

It works as designed. As per the readme, you must team switch to the subordinate companies. The "chainofcommand" command does not really cut it, as far as I am concerned, so I do not use it. That said, as per my readme, make what alterations you like!

I used community.bistudio.com/wiki/ for a lot of the info, and some other chap from these forums, named cobra4v320, who I gave a nod to in file '03 COMPLEX CUSTOM COMMUNICATIONS MENU TEMPLATE', came up with some good stuff for submenus.

Edited by James McKenzie-Smith

Ok, understod now) I supposed the whole battalion would be under player's command.

As for manual - I meant Field Manual of US army not game one)

Great idea. I love using HC in my SP missions, especially Mr Centipede's Hybrid HC.

This is a welcome option. Thank you!

As for manual - I meant Field Manual of US army not game one)

Here's the manual motherlode!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/index.html

FM 3-90.2, FM 7-7, FM 7-7J, FM 17-15, FM 71-1, FM 71-2, FM 3-21.31, and also the TACSOP.DOC doc included with Steel Beasts Pro PE. I have also been a wargame player and amateur wargame designer since about 1980, so some of this stuff is pretty ingrained in my mind.

Here's the rather interesting info re. the M2 platoon, by way of example:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-21-71/index.html

This is titled MECHANIZED INFANTRY PLATOON AND SQUAD, and I might say that Appendix A was most useful for giving the organization of the M2 platoon, which you will know by now I altered for two reasons. First, because I did not find the actual organization really worked well in-game, as it more or less forced the player to keep both Bradley sections very close together, lest individual men become lost in the fields of Zargabad while trying to find their squads. Of course, I could have just kept the Bradleys in a single platoon without dividing into sections, but it is clear that section organization is important in the Bradley platoon. Secondly, alterations had to be made anyway, because BIS's Brads are short a seat, and I opted for this mission to be mod-free, so that more people could try it out without hunting down this mod or that.

Note also my employment of the M240Bs is not as it is in reality. This is partially because of my other decision to reorganize the M2 Bradley platoon along more or less 1980's Bradley organization lines (as I remember them to be, based on previous research), but also because of Appendix B, which states of the M240B that the platoon commander should position his M240s in order to:

- Concentrate fires where they want to kill the enemy.

- Fire across the platoon front.

- Cover obstacles by direct fire.

- Tie-in with adjacent units.

This was best accomplished by giving the guns to the platoon commander, rather than distributing them among the individual squads.

this is excellent. Great job. I dont understand why more people havent caught on to this. Would you be interested in adding a russian version of this? imagine the battles you could have.

Just noticed your reply, sorry.

I am thinking of adding a Russian version, and if BIS upgrades the Russians to OA standards, then I will most certainly do so. That said, I will not be doing so for a while; most recently, I have made a US Army combined arms battalion (which is about 33% larger than the already large armored bn) and I am maneuvering it around, just getting used to controlling a large formation within the game.

Have you made use of the provided template? I would like to see what you have done. Also, would you like the combined arms battalion to play with?

anyway you could re-up this im working on a russian version but lost the template

I love using large formations, specially ones based on real Military Doctrine, I would appreciate it if you uploaded it! Your template would be useful for me to make an USAF one, for which its the Doctrine I am use to lol!

Okay, I'll do this. I will upload the most recent version, which is a US Army Combined Arms Battalion (70+ AFVs, 450+ men!!!). There are some changes to the readme that I have to do, among other things, as certain features have been improved. Please bear with me for a few days; I have a real life that gets in the way, constantly! I'm sure that you can all relate. Anyway, I'll try to have it done by Sunday. I will also try to include the older, slightly leaner US Army Armored Bn, and, if I have time, a company combat team organization or two for slightly smaller scenarios (and less powerful PCs!).

all im really interested in is a hc group of apcs and vehicles as a qrf in some human vs hc missions. i like using hc as a single opposing force, but the lack of dismounting makes it rather ineffective.

if ya need help with this i know a few guys who did similar things with high command. we have a teamspeak and dedicated server. we could lend a hand. just pm me.

Hi James, the download is broken - Invalid or Deleted File. are you able to put it back up?

My 'pter decided that it hated ArmA2, and corrupted. I need to find the time to reinstall, etc. etc., and right now that's not priority one. It will happen, but with Christmas on the way, it will take a few weeks before I find more than a couple of hours to rub together.

Wait a while, it will happen. Plus, I have a few alterations to make anyhow.

Ok bro, all good, thanks.

Would be cool if someone has a copy i could get :)

That's it, although when I get the chance - after Christmas, methinks - I want to get the newer Combined Arms Battalion out, which has numerous improvements, including combat engineering functions (well, minefield breaching, anyway).

If Iron Front: Liberation 1944 retains high command functions - and I really hope that it will - then I will probably start doing this for Wehrmacht and Red Army formations as well.

I updated the link. Download from here.

Click 'file' then 'download'. Maybe james can add it to the first page?

Edited by Snafu

hey makenzie glad to see ya working on this. TBH though ive had a hard time getting it to work for my needs. i mearly want disembark/embark for a few squads. maybe 4 at most. i want it simple and easy to use. Im working on it again but im not real good with code. ive probably spent as much time breaking this as you did making it. anyway im trying again after a year ill let ya know if i do it.