Sign in to follow this  
koalasalad

Need help downloading new islands

I have been trying to download new islands and mods for a while now but it hasn't been working. I have read and watched movies on how to do it but it doesn't seem to work for me. This is what i have been doing, please tell me what i'm doing wrong. (i have the steam combined operations)

Inside the steam arma 2 folder I made a @islands folder and put a Addons folder inside that. I then downloaded the island into the Addons folder inside the @islands folder. I then set the launch options for steam to -Mod=@islands. When I start up the game it shows the mod is enabled in the expansions menu but i can't play the downloaded island.

Thank You

Wrong forum for that but: Have you moved the .zip/.rar/.7z file into the Addons folder or have you extracted the .pbo file into it?

To use the addons/mods, you must copy the .pbo files into your mod folder (and the .bikey if available). Otherwise ArmA2 does not recognize the files.

I then downloaded the island into the Addons folder inside the @islands folder.

You dont want to do this as all islands will come in a zipped format so what wolle had asked did you extract the zip file

first and then move the pbos (files to the addons folder of your @islands?

Best to download any addons/mods you download to a seperate folder, for example I have a folder designated to Arma2

addons and in that folder I have various folders one for new islands, one for new missions, one for new addons, ect., thats

where I download all my stuff and thn I extract them there and move them to that appropriate mod folder or i create a new one all based on what it is.

When I start up the game it shows the mod is enabled in the expansions menu

but i can't play the downloaded island.

Where are you looking for the island to play on it, as it will only show up in two places:

The sp editor and and the mp editor is where they will show up.

Once again this is the wrong forum for your topic it should be in the general section.

they download as a .7z and .rar so how do i get them to become .pbo?

You have to extract or open the .7z or .rar and put whats inside into the folder.

Download winrar to open those files

Download 7zip instead which is free. Addons usually use 7zip as its free and it can open most compressed files.

it worked! thanks for all the help guys.

(sorry about posting this in the wrong forum)