Sign in to follow this  
MDRZulu

Tracers

How do I turn tracers off and where, I think they look kind of stupid.

Options>Difficulty>Rifle Bullet Tracers = disable.

A while ago i tried to change the tracer texture, making them more look like actual tracers, not a chance.

The tracer texture seems to be 8x8 pixel in size with alpha channel and gets it´s color via the config.cpp (mono, can only be single color i guess). Additionally the tracer texture is used for map gridlines, lines in the Flashpoint gaming gui like the welcome screen and so on. Means if you intend to mod the tracer you will also unintentionally change the appearance of the map and gaming gui, bad, especially as i don´t know how custom tracers should work as an addon, i.e. if it´s possible at all. Resource effective programming is not a bad thing, but hell, you can always exaggerate with it biggrin.gif.

How about giving us a dedicated tracer texture, that is not shared and connected with a dozen other flashpoint functions. Instead of giving the tracer a single color throughout via the config.bin, a real colored texture of greater size would also be most appreciated.

Ok thx, I dont like it because it looks like a orange line drawn in MsPaint and with some guns the tracers go all over the place and look like they are little 90 degree angles shooting out and it looks really annoying.

I LOVE tracers!!

Nothing like slowly crawling forward to an objective with tracers flying just inches over your head at you.

well maybe if they were good looking tracers

i was very disapointed with ofp's tracers, maybe they will be improved in resistance confused.gif

That's hilarious. I wonder which one they did first. Was it, "well we need a tracer file, why don't we just use the map lines?" or was it the other way around. Lol

Best tracers I've seen are in Il2. Different colours and sizes and larger calibers smoke. And the sound as they wizz by is the best as well.

COLINMAN

I kinda like the tracer effect of armored vehicle machine guns...at further distances they fall and you can see it when you zoom in fully. Looks pretty cool. But it's be wesome if you could actually follow sabot/heat shells or canon rounds ala the pic.

That's a little difficult as the smoke from the cannon obstructs your view for a few seconds.

I don't think the sabot/heat rounds for the tanks exist sprite-wise. You can't see them even if you slow the time down to .00001.

I remeber my dad telling that the Sabot rounds he carried in his tank had tracers.But i think it would be useless in OFP, cause the terrain is constanly varring, and they kinda 'over-exagerated' the smoke.But where my dad actually fired the rounds, was in flat and wide terrain with no hills.

It would be nice to have more visible tracers at night for Vulcan and Shilka. Watching from distance how AA tanks are shooting down enemy planes at night would be much more cooler and realistic this way.

Actually Gunship! has some really nice tracer effects for the cannons on the helicopters. They arc out and fall realistically over distance and don't all hit the same spot. And they got substance as well, big moving balls, not the little lines if OFP.

COLINMAN

I really like the tracers. They add a lot of realism in my opinion. In a war there are tracers going off so how can it feel like one with no tracers. They should just improve them to make them more realistic.