Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

The mystery of shaking armor on cannon fire

I'm hoping to lure one of the game devs here to settle this issue, cuz its been driving me nuts.

How do I get my vehicle to shake around on cannon fire? I know its possible as ingame BMP3 rocks just fine (however the tanks don't :S). Ive tried high c.o.g and low, high and low mass, different mass distributions and all, and all combinations of the above.

Soes the fact that my vehicle is derived from Tank class and the BMP3 from Tracked APC change it? Or is this assigned to the weapon somehow cuz BMP3 doesnt rock on 30mm fire, only on 100mm.

so .....very....confused....

The tank turret is shaking if there is weapon firing ammo using simulation=shotShell. Tank turret muzzle is chosen depending on ammo simulation. MGun point is used for bullets. Main cannon for shells.

Unfortunately shells simulation is not capable to simulate penetration (caliber setting is ignored). To fix the simulation we defined many tank rounds to use simulation shotBullet. Visual problems will be hopefully solved in next patch.

thnx AS but that didnt help. But I went ahead and tried some more things. Noticed that one of my previous projects does shake, went ahead and reconfigged the new one as that one was but still no love.

maybe you can ask someone in the office :)?

Unfortunately shells simulation is not capable to simulate penetration (caliber setting is ignored). To fix the simulation we defined many tank rounds to use simulation shotBullet. Visual problems will be hopefully solved in next patch.

I noticed a lot of stuff is still hardcoded based on ammo simulations. Any chance that a lot of this stuff will be changed so we can set it in the config?

For example: Muzzle flash (both animation and light source), seems to be hardcoded based on the simulation despite there being some config settings (ex: selectionFireAnim appears to do nothing).

MGun point is used for bullets. Main cannon for shells.

This is also something that would be much better to have a config setting for regardless of simulation.

It would make a very nice NY present if someone from BIS could explain this :D

Unfortunately shells simulation is not capable to simulate penetration

it is if u change the code :)