Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Audio distortion with headphones + A2/CO?

My audio runs fine no "buzzing" distortion when I don't have headphones in - Just my regular speakers - Yet when my headphones are plugged in, I get a constant buzzing???

This started happening after installing a new GTX 460 video card?? Likely related I am suspecting......But I puzzeled why it would only be with headphones on...and not also with my regular speakers?

Now I don't get this distortion noise, say if just watching a you tube video with my headphones on......only when inside the game

Thanks for any advice...

Edited by meade95

Its the headphones I would say, try some new ones

Nope. I was hoping that was the case to. Not so. Went and grabbed a pair off a friend...came back...same issue.

Odd. I can watch video (say you tube) or video saved on my computer. Yet once I launch into A2 I get a slight buzz backdrop noise distortion. Even on the main begining page. This noise only stays or increases once within a mission ... Just a constant buzz going on in the background.

Yet, with just my desktop speakers....there is no such noise at all.

If any of your volumes are set to 100%, I would see if you can try distributing the load among several volume channels... for instance, if you have a volume control on the headphones that's maxed out, try toning it down and increasing the volume in windows.

Try running another game as well. Increased power draw might be issue. You have the noise always but when there is an increase in load on your computer the noise becomes more apparent because of the higher electrical draw through wherever the bleed is at.

Make sure your computer is properly grounded, and any internal audio wires are not too close to other lines, especially power, large capacitors, the GPU or CPU.

Actually just read the bit about a new GPU. I am 100% certain that is the issue. Make sure if you have a front jack for your headphones that the wire is clear and free. It might not be something you are able to fix though, especially if you are using a USB headset.

Edited by NouberNou

Try running another game as well. Increased power draw might be issue. You have the noise always but when there is an increase in load on your computer the noise becomes more apparent because of the higher electrical draw through wherever the bleed is at.

Make sure your computer is properly grounded, and any internal audio wires are not too close to other lines, especially power, large capacitors, the GPU or CPU.

Actually just read the bit about a new GPU. I am 100% certain that is the issue. Make sure if you have a front jack for your headphones that the wire is clear and free. It might not be something you are able to fix though, especially if you are using a USB headset.

Thanks for suggestions will look into further - That all lines are free and clear - I'm not using a USB head phones...just the old style insert pin head phones......

How do I make sure my computer is properly grounded? I currently have my case sitting directly on my floor. Power cables plugged into surge protector.

Edited by meade95

Thanks for suggestions will look into further - That all lines are free and clear -

How do I make sure my computer is properly grounded? I currently have my case sitting directly on my floor. Power cables plugged into surge protector.

Most of the time that is enough, as long as you have the ground on your power extending all the way to the wall (in the US thats the bottom round male part on the plug) then it should ground all the way to the houses electrical ground.

On the other hand you might have "dirty" power, enough so that it creates audible noises. If its not coming through your speakers though I doubt that is the case.

Make sure also that everything comes out of one plug from the wall. Do not have multiple components that are connected in anyway (monitor thats plugged into one surge protector going to another outlet, etc) to multiple outlets.

you're hearing that sound inside the headset?

or is it just that with the speakers playing, it's so loud you don't hear the fan on the gfx card ( got one of those, and the fan does make some noice in arma2:co i'd say :p )

The noise is only audiable through my headphones - It is a loud buzzing sound in the backdrop of all other regular game noise - Starts up as soon as I launch into A2/CO and intensifies once within a mission -

If I just have my desktop speakers turned on (no headphones) I get none of the audio distortion / buzzing sound.

I'm 90% certain it has to do with my recent GTX 460 upgrade (99% certain). I just can't figure out why it only is a problem with headphones and not with my desktop speakers as well.

It maybe has something to do with the new HD Audio Drivers that Nvivda puts out with GTX 460 as well (though I have tried disableing these, with no luck). There seems to be some audio related issues with GTX 400s/500s of late, because of drivers I'm reading...

Though, I get NO noise distortion when running other videos (with or without headphones) including some other less graphic intense games.

Edited by meade95

I get the buzzing with my Sennheiser 595HD's, I've a AMD Radeon 4870HD with 10.11 drivers.

Suprisingly enough - EVGA is telling me it sounds like an RMA issue - Where I have been thinking it is more of a conflicting issue with the new HD audio drivers that NVIDIA puts out with the GTX 460s.....

I'm going to test out on another macine tomoorrow and see what happens there - Will possibly RMA it?