Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Question GTX 460 & Power supply?

My new GTX 460 came today - Looking forward to getting it home an installing (after work). Got a quick look of it before heading off to work this morning....

I noticed it came with 2 6-pin power connectors/adapters for the power supply?? Do I have to have these hooked up?? And if so, to where?

I have a 750 Power Supply box with my 720 XPS system. My other video cards didn't require additional power supply? Will my 750 Power Box be enough or do I need to hook up thise 6-pin power connector / adpaters as well?

Thanks for the advice / info...

You need to connect both of the cables in order for the card to work. Most modern power supplies have two connectors specifically for powering the Graphics card.

If yours doesnt, you need to connect the two adaptors to two of the spare molex power connectors. Look at the power cable going into the back of your dvd/cd drive and look for two of the same which are spare and connect one end of the adaptor to those and the other ends to the sockets on your graphics card.

500-600W power suply with at least 26-30A in the 12v line

And yes you have to connect those 2 6-pin connectors, the card should have come with some adaptors for the normal 12v connectors

500-600W power suply with at least 26-30A in the 12v line

And yes you have to connect those 2 6-pin connectors, the card should have come with some adaptors for the normal 12v connectors

Ok. Thanks for the info @Bobario @SpetS15

It did come with two adapters (power adapters). I just haven't opened up my Box to see where they connect to....Though, my 750 Power Supply box should have the slots for them to hook into - With one end hooked up to my power supply box...and the other ends hooked up to my GTX 460 (I think I got it...hopefully). Looking forward to getting home and getting it up and running.

Coming from an GeForce 8800GT 512MB..... Which didn't need this additional power supply adapters.....So somewhat new to me...

Thanks again..

Well I only bought / upgraded for this Card FOR A2/OA.....so it is related...directly and/or indirectly...(but I get your point, my bad)

Edited by meade95