Sign in to follow this  
OOPz

PMC04: Transportation... BI, WTF were you thinking?

The lead vehicle is now controllable, - which is great, - but there's a point where we're told there are tanks in the village ahead and we should divert to the south. I tell my driver to head up into the hills to the south but the other two SUVs just stay on the road.

Surely I can't leave them there, - what do I do? There seems to be no option to control them...:confused:

Any suggestions much appreciated, - I don't really want to have to endmission.

Haven't played this mission in a while, but if I remember correctly the diversion just means making a turn and taking a different road south, instead of the originally intended one.

So, there is no need to drive into the hills, just take the new route and stay on the road.

Thanks for that, Johan, - you were right, - the route on the map had changed automatically and I just needed to turn south at the next village, which incidentally contained quite a force of bad guys.

It would have been much better to detour over the hills like you'd be able to in normal Arma 2 missions and like you probably would in real life if there was a high chance the village ahead was enemy occupied.

Still love Arma 2 despite this aberration...

Well, the convoy diverted and avoided the village with the tanks, they didn't know about the bad guys in the other village.

Also, it's not a mechanized military force we're talking about, but a convoy of standard civilian cars (well, just a little bit up-gunned and up-armoured :)) So they pretty much need to stick to the roads and not go driving into the hills.

Edited by Johan S

Yea I have to agree that this was a bit on the arcade size compared to most other official missions.

I think the intent with the mission was good, but the execution was not so much.

I don't agree with the premise that every single enemy along the way needs to be killed. The purpose is to transport the client, so we should be allowed to drive quickly and fire as needed. That is what a normal convoy leader would do. The following cars refuse to move until every straggler in the hills is killed.

Edited by wyskass

I already own all the ARMA1 and ARMA2 stuff and wasn't sure if I wanted PMC, but I took a chance and purchased it yesterday. This mission is making me regret it. Looks like they fixed the "on-rails" issue that previous players hated with a way-point system but I am having my own problems.

1) The way-point system breaks right after the village Garamod and my driver wants to skip a couple waypoints and drive up over the hill, which would not be so bad but then the "client SUVs" refuse to follow me, either getting stuck on the hill or driving off in the opposite direction when I go back and reissue the "next waypoint" command to my driver. This ends the mission saying I failed to protect the client, blah blah blah. They should have just used the standard squad control system in the first place

2) I did not get a UAV hack/control even though I waited at the checkpoint. Maybe the removed it with the lasted update, but they is a UAV flying around I just don't have any means of controlling it.

I am truly wondering how this mission ever made it pass in house play-testing, or maybe BIS is using the customers for play-testing in which case I doubt if I will play-test ARMA3

So, you regret buying the DLC, and are considering not getting Arma 3 just because you don't like one mission? :rolleyes:

After reading all these complaints about the mission, I replayed it on Veteran, and still loved it. It really helps if you re-key the Num 0 scope view to your fourth mouse button (if you have one), the one near your thumb. Then you can scope in and out real fast.

The first time I played, I didn't know about the Num 0 scope. I thought mouse 2 did all the scope views. NOT. Why doesn't mouse 2 do scope for mounted guns?

It is true that before you hit the town with the Zu-23 on the truck, the 2 client SUVs in the convoy can go off on their own into the hills. They usually eventually do follow you quite well.

It's generally better that the clients are cautious and hold well back to avoid trouble, as the mission will fail if they are damaged or destroyed.

I did see the mission end twice because the two client SUVs were "lost" in the hills, although undamaged.

It can be frustrating when in a town under fire, you hit S for reverse, and your AI driver goes forward! ARGHH! I guess it is an AI driving object avoidance problem.

The mission is classic BIS. Kick ass. Not for the faint of heart, as I have written before.

Edited by OMAC

One of my mods (dunno which) causes the normally hidden command interface to disappear, so I was able to command Asano around. Helped a -lot- during this mission.

Before I had access to that command menu, I didn´t enjoy the mission at all. Afterwards, more so. But it still felt a little railshooter-ish in the sense that you could survive certain situations only by running into them, dying and then re-doing them again in a different fashion. I´d expect a game like Tyrian 2K to play like that, but not Arma.

In general, though, this mission was better than the ones before it, and the quality continues to increase right up til the end.

that you could survive certain situations only by running into them, dying and then re-doing them again in a different fashion.

I'm not sure I understand the alternative to this. Surviving by using so many mods that you can't die, and the mission is unrecognizable from that which BIS designed, making it really a new game? :eek: