Sign in to follow this  
Orvis25

1.56 did not fix performance issues *help*

The 1.56 patch still fixed nothing. after about 2 min of flawless game-play all of a sudden i get the fps drop *6 max and when it hits 0 game crashes with-ought error's* and rendering problem. I think its a memory leak. Because my armaOA.exe registers its using 300k of memory when i first start playing but it rapidly inclines to 975,123K of memory in about 3 minutes of me playing and everyone else i ask *asked 9 of my friends* is only using like 400-500K of memory. I have 1gb *total* Dedicated graphics ram on my 4770's and 4 gb DDR3 1666 ram on my mb. So I don't know but its my two cent's of opinion on the performance issue with some people. Anyway i am still dissatisfied with the game so far, bought it 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to play for 2 weeks because the fps issue make it unplayable......

Edit of additional info upon request:

I just tested both my 4770's individually *removed from mb and stress tested* and they btw passed. Also just mem tested my ram also, passed 100% so it is NOT hardware!!! *yay*

I also have no problem with crossfire scalability in ANY other game i play (crysis, COH:Tov & COH:O , BC2, Metro 2033, OPFR and some others) or a performance/graphical issue's in them and they are all Very high or high.

As for the resources i have nothing running besides my antivirus (3,950K Mem), fraps (1.324K mem) *record debound* and steam (idle: 10,328K Mem and Running Arma: 13,689K) and i already tested if those were the problems *cant test steam because its needed to play the game,*

My gpu temp hits 60 C max and 45 idle *with overclock* 55 max and38 idle *stock clock* recommended temperatures on the card are 70 and lower for safe and stable temps

My files are defraged along with my hdd (I have Perfictdisk11 on auto-defrag. My current fragmentation on my hdd is .02%)

Notes:

Asus M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard (Newest bios)

phenom II x4 965 BE

Ati Radeon HD 4770 Crossfire and OC to 875/1000 (CCC version 10.11)

4gb ddr3 1666

32gb ssd (holds os and all basic necessities)

500gb hdd (holds all games and extra programs)

Game:

resolution: 1920x1080

3d res: 1920x1080 (preform exactly the same on any other setting so i leave at full)

AA & AF: off

Everything else: normal (i tried every setting combination i can think of)

Any thought's anyone?

Edited by Orvis25

I'm sorry in that I don't have an answer. I can tell you that I have the same 965 proc, 4gb DDR3 RAM, almost the same Asus mobo, running at 1920x1080. Only major difference is that I run an Nvidia 285 GTX, and my FPS runs 40 to 60. I usually only see drops when there are a lot of particles, like multiple explosions, tons of smoke. Also I run in windowed mode, but not sure that matters. Currently the game is using 638MB of RAM after playing for 90 min.

I'm sorry in that I don't have an answer. I can tell you that I have the same 965 proc, 4gb DDR3 RAM, almost the same Asus mobo, running at 1920x1080. Only major difference is that I run an Nvidia 285 GTX, and my FPS runs 40 to 60. I usually only see drops when there are a lot of particles, like multiple explosions, tons of smoke. Also I run in windowed mode, but not sure that matters. Currently the game is using 638MB of RAM after playing for 90 min.

I know its lame for me.... if you don't know I am into video cards and a crossfire of 2 4770's beats a single 285 by about 5% on stock clocks. But mine are oc about 20% harder than stock so i am 99.9% sure that i am surprising your processing power by a reasonably large margin.

Edited by Orvis25

Using vid memory is a good thing! using all the pc's resources is a good thing, make the game run faster and BIS designed it to use the resources as presented, that's why you can vary cpu/threads etc. My cards have 1Gb memory each and when ArmA is running hard that will drop to about 160 mb of free memory, not a bad thing at all

Personally I have and never have had any issues running ArmA, you don't mention what the fps drops to or what particular rendering issues you have so perhaps if you elaborate somebody may be able to help you, just remember this is a simulation not a FPS.

David

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58

Intel core I7 950 3.06GHZ CPU

12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D 1600MHz 8-8-8-24-2T

Corsair H70 Water cooling

Corsair HX1000W PSU

2 x MSI Cyclone GTX460 1Gb Oc 840/3800

Intel 160Gb X25m SSD

2 x Seagate ST3750528AS 750Gb @ 7200rpm

2 x HP 2159m monitors 1920 x 1080

Edited by djmorgan

Using vid memory is a good thing! using all the pc's resources is a good thing, make the game run faster and BIS designed it to use the resources as presented, that's why you can vary cpu/threads etc. My cards have 1Gb memory each and when ArmA is running hard that will drop to about 160 mb of free memory, not a bad thing at all

Personally I have and never have had any issues running ArmA, you don't mention what the fps drops to or what particular rendering issues you have so perhaps if you elaborate somebody may be able to help you, just remember this is a simulation not a FPS.

Well i think "unplayable" say something about the fps *considering 15 and lower is what the human eye can detect at a normal rate without strain* but to be specific i hit a max of about 6fps and min of... well 0 and the game freezes.

I'm hesitant to think hardware would cause a sudden FPS drop. You don't have something else running, like a virus app, or even Fraps? I ask because once I had a sudden FPS drop, and eventually found that I had accidentally turned video recording on with Fraps.

I'm hesitant to think hardware would cause a sudden FPS drop. You don't have something else running, like a virus app, or even Fraps? I ask because once I had a sudden FPS drop, and eventually found that I had accidentally turned video recording on with Fraps.

i have fraps running. but i unbound the record key. i also tested with nod32 *my anti virus* shut off and fraps off. still made no difference. only other thing running is ts3 *witch i turned off too, no difference* and steam witch i cant turn off because i own it thou steam but my friend who own a 4870 also owns it through steam and he dose not have this problem so its not steam and not a 4k design problem because there are loads of bentchmarks on the net of the 4770 + on armaII AO *lower than 1.55 for shure considering they all are about 5 months old*. and they all work fine.

Edited by Orvis25

Well i think "unplayable" say something about the fps *considering 15 and lower is what the human eye can detect at a normal rate without strain* but to be specific i hit a max of about 6fps and min of... well 0 and the game freezes.

Well you really need to do some trouble shooting, because if it was the game then everybody would be crying bloody blue murder at 6fps.

I have never seen figures that low, I'm not an fps watcher as I bought ArmA to play not bench test, but on the 3 benchmarks supplied the lowest I get (dusk encounter) is 25fps the highest ArmA II BM is 48 fps, that's with all set very high and distance to 5000m, except AA which I handle with SLI.

David

Well you really need to do some trouble shooting, because if it was the game then everybody would be crying bloody blue murder at 6fps.

I have never seen figures that low, I'm not an fps watcher as I bought ArmA to play not bench test, but on the 3 benchmarks supplied the lowest I get (dusk encounter) is 25fps the highest ArmA II BM is 48 fps, that's with all set very high and distance to 5000m, except AA which I handle with SLI.

David

I'm not quit shure if you read my original post but I DID do troubleshooting both hardware

and software wise.

Crossfire simply not working in current setup / arma version?

Also, CF/SLI total memory needs to be divided by the amount of cards you have iirc.

So 2 cards of 512 MB in CF/SLI, is the same as 1 card in 512 MB, memory wise.

I'm not quit shure if you read my original post but I DID do troubleshooting both hardware

and software wise.

Sure, read your post, you blamed the program! if it was the program then many others would be complaining about 6 FPS! they are not.... so you must continue with your trouble shooting as you have not found the cause of your problems yet, the first step to fixing the problem is to acknowledge that it is not the program and look to your computer set up and the available resources and how they are being used.

start by running your computer and ArmA with a minimal configuration ie. drop off as many services and startup programs as you can, see if the problem is still there, then add back those you stopped one at a time, then look to the video drivers, compare your results with other benchmarking tools, as your running ATI and me nVidia can't help you, but I assume things like 3Dmark etc are applicable for your system.

Anyway I'm sure you get the picture

David.

Edited by djmorgan

I am not sure if it is the same problem that I am experiencing also. I experienced problems after updating with the patch 1.50 to 1.55. When playing warfare multiplayer after about 10 minutes of game play my screen goes completely black. I can still hear what is happening but not see anything. I have ctrl, alt del to quit and try again.

System

Component Details Subscore Base score

Processor Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.5

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 7.3

Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.3

Primary hard disk 1246GB Free (1863GB Total) 5.9

Windows 7 Home Premium

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275

Total available graphics memory 4095 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 1792 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 2303 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6099

Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080

DirectX version DirectX 10

well i complain about a sudden drop of fps after the 1.56 patch and i've read at least one more complain in another thread of a drastic fps drop after the 1.56 patch. My fps dropped from about 25-50 to 10-20 measured with fraps. Arma's own benchmark shows an average of 43 fps in 1.51 version, 34 fps in 1.55 version and 20 fps in 1.56 version.

@shift

Incase u have not defragged ur ARMA2 directory with somwething like Gamebooster (free) Ur game will drop fps with every new patch due to all those fragmented files from updates etc etc.

Give it a try if u have not

Always fixed my stuttering and slower fps issues after applying new patches and only takes less than 5 minutes to defrag.

Edited by vasmkd

With all the patches, driver updates and new app profiles, I have worse cf performance than with a single card. Right now I'm running just my one 5870 and I have no lod thrashing and the fps is smooth. With CF, performance goes down significantly. With that being said I don't believe it's a patch issue for me, I believe it's more of a driver profile problem. To be quite honest I haven't been really satisfied with cf since I bought the second card. I think in the future I'll stick to a single card solution.

Oh btw what drivers are you using?

Edited by mrbinkels

Crossfire simply not working in current setup / arma version?

Also, CF/SLI total memory needs to be divided by the amount of cards you have iirc.

So 2 cards of 512 MB in CF/SLI, is the same as 1 card in 512 MB, memory wise.

Its possible but not proven. But then again in the 3 and 4k *also apparently the 6k too :(* series seems to be having a lot of this problem from arma1 and even worse in arma2.

Also. not quite sure what you mean with the memory. memory scalability is almost 100% so i have a total of 1gb gddr5

Incase u have not defragged ur ARMA2 directory with somwething like Gamebooster (free) Ur game will drop fps with every new patch due to all those fragmented files from updates etc etc.

Give it a try if u have not

Always fixed my stuttering and slower fps issues after applying new patches and only takes less than 5 minutes to defrag.

I own it thou Steam so when i get any patches steam deletes the game and re-downloads it. so i have nothing to defrag.

Sure, read your post, you blamed the program! if it was the program then many others would be complaining about 6 FPS! they are not.... so you must continue with your trouble shooting as you have not found the cause of your problems yet, the first step to fixing the problem is to acknowledge that it is not the program and look to your computer set up and the available resources and how they are being used.

start by running your computer and ArmA with a minimal configuration ie. drop off as many services and startup programs as you can, see if the problem is still there, then add back those you stopped one at a time, then look to the video drivers, compare your results with other benchmarking tools, as your running ATI and me nVidia can't help you, but I assume things like 3Dmark etc are applicable for your system.

Anyway I'm sure you get the picture

David.

I am not quite sure what your talking about that "many others" would be complaining about this *or similar* problems, but here is a link to MANY ati users with this problem of fps drop and other wearied graphical stuff. *i have tried some of what they recommended nothing worked*

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73235

Also i will say it is the program because as i stated i stressed tested both my gpu's and bench marked them to see if they pass and they did. I also have no problem with crossfire scalability in ANY other game i play (crysis, COH:Tov & COH:O , BC2, Metro 2033, OPF:DR and some others) or a performance/graphical issue's in them and they are all Very high or high.

As for the resources i stated that i have nothing running besides my antivirus (3,950K Mem), fraps (1.324K mem) *record debound* and steam (idle: 10,328K Mem and Running Arma: 13,689K) and i already tested if those were the problems *cant test steam because its needed to play the game,*

well i complain about a sudden drop of fps after the 1.56 patch and i've read at least one more complain in another thread of a drastic fps drop after the 1.56 patch. My fps dropped from about 25-50 to 10-20 measured with fraps. Arma's own benchmark shows an average of 43 fps in 1.51 version, 34 fps in 1.55 version and 20 fps in 1.56 version.

Well while i never played armaII before 1.55 i cant say, but your just more proof that there is a problem with the game and the patches they are releasing because according to tech support I am talking to from ATI there is no known problems with architecture or drivers conflicting with the game * i guess the get al ot of it because he stated that this is a constant message about the game with performance problems*

With all the patches, driver updates and new app profiles, I have worse cf performance than with a single card. Right now I'm running just my one 5870 and I have no lod thrashing and the fps is smooth. With CF, performance goes down significantly. With that being said I don't believe it's a patch issue for me, I believe it's more of a driver profile problem. To be quite honest I haven't been really satisfied with cf since I bought the second card. I think in the future I'll stick to a single card solution.

Oh btw what drivers are you using?

Im using ccc version 10.11 with all settings set to performance *also tested with detail but just freezes the game after about 20 seconds vs the 2-3 min on all set to performance*

Edited by Orvis25

I own it thou Steam so when i get any patches steam deletes the game and re-downloads it. so i have nothing to defrag.

LOL you don't know that much about computers do you? every time ArmA or any other program for that matter runs, files are swapped and replaced in different locations on the harddrive.

You come here looking for help and suggestions and then either ignore them or give an excuse why it is not applicable to you.

Sorry but a person can't be helped if they don't want to be helped.

DAvid

Especially when the whole geame is re-downloaded you should defrag at least the Arma 2 folder. That's of course only if it's on a HDD. With a SSD you don't need to defrag.

LOL you don't know that much about computers do you? every time ArmA or any other program for that matter runs, files are swapped and replaced in different locations on the harddrive.

You come here looking for help and suggestions and then either ignore them or give an excuse why it is not applicable to you.

Sorry but a person can't be helped if they don't want to be helped.

DAvid

I am aware of how computers work. Although if you don't know the only file's steam hold's on to for games that are being deleted or updated are save files. Everything else is removed and replaced. and i don't quite see what you mean. i answered every question people have provided along with additional testing. If i didn't what or need the help i wouldn't have asked.

As an added note i own Perfictdisc11 and it auto defrags my pc when hdd is idle. So that's about 16 hr's a day. and my hdd fragmentation at this exact second is .02%

Especially when the whole geame is re-downloaded you should defrag at least the Arma 2 folder. That's of course only if it's on a HDD. With a SSD you don't need to defrag.

Same thing i said to Dim mostly. Yes SSD's do not need to be defraged. the only maintenance i do on it is system file defrag every month