Sign in to follow this  
SlyBelle

Storing Missions/Addons in My Documents?

Hello,

I'm just getting back into ARMA and had a question. I have been searching the forums all morning long and can't find the thread I'm looking for. If I remember correctly, there is a way to store missions/addons in your "documents" foldger versus the "game" folder but I can't find the thread that shows you how to do that. Can anybody provide me guidance or link me to the past thread? I'm using Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

Hi SlyBelle

Only missions are stored in your documents folder. go into the editor. place 1 unit and save. Once you saved and you go to your documents folder ... voila there you go.

addons are always stored in your main ArmA folder. in case you use 3rd party addons use mod folders. Never put 3rd party addons in the original addon folder. You will be penalized in MP when you play on vanilla Arma servers.

kind regards

Hi SlyBelle

Only missions are stored in your documents folder.

Actually you can store addons there as well:

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

All addons, missions and modifications can be stored in the user documents area instead of the game's working directory, which is the preferred location for various reason. Not only are users able to do this with limited permissions (and for security reasons it is often not the best option to run as an admin all the time) but also their addon collection will be easily isolated from the game itself, allowing reinstalling the game and easier backing up of any user made content.

Although when you un install it never removes mods from the game folder as un installer simply leaved the game folder intact as well as all mod folder, just never pu mod folder "into" arma's actual folders, then again it wont see them to look to remove either way (bad practice none the less).

Also storing large mod data on the system drive isnt always the best idea, becuase of space and disk use as its the system drive and disk access reasons. Plus backup reasons large mod data I prefer to be on a different drive from system anyway.

Either way the answer was above regardless of my rambles :)

Although when you un install it never removes mods from the game folder as un installer simply leaved the game folder intact as well as all mod folder, just never pu mod folder "into" arma's actual folders, then again it wont see them to look to remove either way (bad practice none the less).

Also storing large mod data on the system drive isnt always the best idea, becuase of space and disk use as its the system drive and disk access reasons. Plus backup reasons large mod data I prefer to be on a different drive from system anyway.

Yep, I fully agree with you. The text quoted is from Maruk I believe ;)

I myself prefer things not to be on the system disk neither and I use mod folders which never cause issues.

Was only pointing to the fact you can install addons elsewhere as well. Wether its the best option is something everyone decide for himself.

Sorry my bad. didn't mean to provide wrong info, wasn't informed about that possibility, now I know.

kind regards

Your info was not wrong if you didn't know mate. Since I saw you weren't familiar with it I thought I should inform you about this possibility as well. ;)

Thanks everyone for the help. However, not sure I got it right. I downloaded some missions and placed in my ARMA 2 folder under my documents folder, but they don't show up in the game. They only show up if I place them in the game directory. Is there something else I need to do?

AFAIK only missions which are not exported by the editor (folder with mission.sqm, description.ext, etc. for example) for SP/MP are automaticlly placed in your documents-folder. Also extracted missions have to be placed there to view the mission.sqm in the editor.

Most missions which you can download are exported already (only one .pbo-file). These have to placed in you missions/mpmissions-folder in your game-directory.

For extracting exported missions you can use PboView for example .

Edited by WillaCHilla

Yes, all mission files ending ".pbo" are to be placed in the arma2 game directory "missions" folder for single player SP mission, or "MP Missions" Multiplayer if MP mission. These all load by going to scenarios menu and they show up for single play missions, or in the MP server section and pick the map and you will see mp missions.

Anything that is named with files and is a folder and not packed into a single .pbo file you place in my documents missions folder = for the editor, so you have to pick the corresponding island (clue is in the last name of the folder) and it will show up in mission list from the editor. Either use tool mentioned above, or load the mission in editor, then save it to "single player mission" (which will turn it into a single .pbo) and dump it into "missions" folder in the game folder for you to play as a scenario from main menu.

Was only pointing to the fact you can install addons elsewhere as well. Wether its the best option is something everyone decide for himself.
No probs mate, you actually answered it and I wasn't suggesting anything more than I agree ... best to mention it to have the "option" in mind :) Edited by mrcash2009