Sign in to follow this  
katipo66

procedural gameplay

I read this article about procedural gameplay and thought this is really interesting.

Is this something that BIS are still developing/working on? i wasnt quite sure if Joris-Jan was just referring to ACM/Secops already in the game or if these are going to be developed further, im thinking the latter as i dont think this is possible yet

By turning the same scenario into procedural gameplay, we can implement a system which reacts to any helicopter in the game crashing. If the player is near the crash site he is dynamically presented with a task to check out the wreckage and rescue any survivors.
and this
For players, procedural gameplay offers up almost infinite replayability and longevity. Since player agency (actions within and influences upon the game world) is input for the procedural systems, it will be different in every session and for every player. It's truly 'non-deterministic'

So how do we turn a scenario into procedural gameplay?

And i like the way BIS think :D

It would be interesting for these developers to get together and discuss the possible future of procedural gameplay.

Is this something that BIS are still developing/working on? i wasnt quite sure if Joris-Jan was just referring to ACM/Secops already in the game or if these are going to be developed further, im thinking the latter as i dont think this is possible yet

Yes, this is a topic we have been exploring for a while and will still be exploring for upcoming projects :) The current application is of course ARMEX and the Multiplayer Armory. Previously this type of system has been used for the singleplayer Armory and SecOps primarily, with modules like ACM, ALICE and SILVIE supporting them. All of those are just initial steps into the direction of procedural gameplay and there's definately still a lot of work and research needed.

The specific example of the crashing helicopters is quite easy to enable using SecOps. We decided not to link it to all crashing helicopters (think of a "killed" EventHandler) because of higher level design decisions. I believe the T.R.A.P. SecOp is already set-up to work with an existing aircraft in the world, instead of only dynamically spawned aircrafts.

So how do we turn a scenario into procedural gameplay?

I'm not sure there's a standard recipe to convert a scenario into procedural gameplay. There are many approaches, some of which have been used in the aforementioned systems. With more evolutions, iterations, research and testing we will hopefully arrive at a good tool-set to support proceduralism :)

We decided not to link it to all crashing helicopters (think of a "killed" EventHandler) because of higher level design decisions.
I assume it also takes factors in account like however behind enemy lines the crashsite is and other possible RoE-bound threats?

Another simulator feature I always wanted to see in a game. :D

Enemy Engaged campaign system immediatly pops up in my mind reading this.

Is there any resemblance?

Yes, this is a topic we have been exploring for a while and will still be exploring for upcoming projects :) With more evolutions, iterations, research and testing we will hopefully arrive at a good tool-set to support proceduralism :)

Honestly, thats really awesome to hear :D

This new Multiplayer armory sounds great, only problem is that this game is too time consuming as it is!!

This reminded me of some old info about 'Game2' and ive liked the idea ever since. I didnt know secops was already able to take ingame things into account, pretty cool.

I think Arma 3 is going to be something very very special, and not just for the awesome new rag doll and physx features but I think they have obviously implemented this Procedural Gameplay Feature into it, aside from the campaign which sounds very interesting its comments like these get me excited.

The amazing thing is that players can drop custom vehicles, weapons and characters into their game and it can and will be used procedurally without specifically setting up a scenario for it.

And this

this technology can potentially generate a lot of gameplay automatically, which they otherwise would have to do by hand.

And with a 3D editor to boot :eek:

Is there another layer off AI? Can AI simply organize themselves and react according to player input? Are we able to easily give them behavior such as aggressive/defensive/passive? Can we actually spend time playing the game as opposed to trying to script helo insertions etc!?

What you building in there BIS!!?:yay: