Sign in to follow this  
STS_SolidSnake

The harrier.

Ok if the Harrier takes off verticaly, then in the air it goes to jet mode shouldnt it fall to ground when does little engines turn up ?

i think it has thrust seperate from the jet engines, so you simply engage the jet engines when you are at the desired height.

Powerplant: one Rolls-Royce Pegasus Mk 106 vectored-thrust turbofan

Thrust: 21,500 lb (95.64 kN)

The Harrier doesn't fly straight up, it's tilted forward. So that when the small VTOL engines are tilted backwards, it starts to fly forward, as opposed to falling straight to the ground.

The nozzels a rotated gradually enough to pick up some forward speed at first. As the speed increases the wings will start to generate lift and the nozzels can then be rotated towards the back even more. At a fast enough speed, the nozzels are rotated to the horizontal position, and the wings provide all the lift.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordZach @ May 06 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think it has thrust seperate from the jet engines, so you simply engage the jet engines when you are at the desired height.

Powerplant: one Rolls-Royce Pegasus Mk 106 vectored-thrust turbofan  

Thrust: 21,500 lb (95.64 kN)<span id='postcolor'>

The engines are always running, you simply direct the thrust of the engines.

i have pretty limited knowledge on this and its early in the morning for me (yes i no its 11.30am) but im sure harriers don't actually work like that, they use the upthrust to keep them in the air until they have enough speed to turn it off and then fly like a normal plane

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ May 06 2002,13:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The engines are always running, you simply direct the thrust of the engines.<span id='postcolor'>

Yep. This is how they work.

This is correct, they do not have two engines one of which is 'turned off' at the desired level... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peeps @ May 06 2002,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i have pretty limited knowledge on this and its early in the morning for me (yes i no its 11.30am) but im sure harriers don't actually work like that, they use the upthrust to keep them in the air until they have enough speed to turn it off and then fly like a normal plane<span id='postcolor'>

NO your pretty much wrong and Intruder is pretty much right

I believe the Yak-38 had two engines, one for vertical flight and one for horizontal flight. Wasn't as famous as the harrier though.

Intruder has done a paper on this subject, and the rest of us supporting his theory has common sense. So I would believe us =)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ May 06 2002,14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Trust me, I done a paper on VTOL aircraft in my final year of university  smile.gif

Links and info here: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/av-8.htm<span id='postcolor'>

Did you remember to include XFY-1 and Triebflügel in your paper? smile.gif

Didn't put the Triebflügel in it. I did inlude various coumpound helicopters, V-22, and the JSF, amoung other aircraft.

h56_4.jpg

rotodyn3.jpg

It was set out in three sections, past, present and future. Got 29/30 for the paper and a presentation biggrin.gif