Sign in to follow this  
maturin

Diagnose my lag spikes

All told, Arma 2 behaves quite well on my 8530p Elitebook laptop. It is stable, but because of my lowish specs I get variable framerates. All the predictable things lower my performance: lots of AI, lots of smoke, lots of visible objects.

Thing is, how much a mission affects my framerate is a moving target. I can play maps with large amounts of AI fairly smoothly. But after a few minutes go by, performance gets progressively worse. Eventually I have to fix things by alt-tabbing out of the program and letting the computer idle at the desktop for 20 seconds or so. RAM usage remain high (60-70%), but my CPU usage will fall to baseline. Once that happens, the game returns to its best performance level.

What is causing this periodic throttling of my game? I have a large pagefile and 4GB of RAM, so that's not the problem.

The temperature of my CPU stays 20-30 degrees Celsius below the maximum safe level when it is working hard with adequate ventilation. When I minimize the game, temperatures fall slowly. Could the computer be slowing itself down when temperatures get high?

Or does the AI start using more and more CPU until it gets to a critical level, and cleanse itself when the game is paused? Could I make the laptop operate normally at higher temperatures or make the AI's CPU usage not add up over time somehow?

I would guess that your graphics chip is getting very very hot while in game and this causes a rise in the internal temperature of your machine. This may in turn cause some throttling to bring the temp down.

Try lowering your graphics settings and see if that allows more time before the lag spikes. The graphics capabilities of your laptop are sadly lacking.

-Use full performance settings in Win. power options

-Use AC adapter to play

-Make sure the cooling is OKÉ (notebook cooler might help)

-Update drivers (GPU, Chipset, Sound & Network)

-Run defrag & disk cleanup

-Disable all unnecessary background services

-Like TechnoTerrorist303 said: cut down the FX to see if it helps

-Play a mission with less AI / complex scrips :butbut:

you are using a laptop to play a game that brings recent desktops to theyre knees.

(when the game is paused the ai doesnt cleanse itself...its paused)