Sign in to follow this  
Robster

s_satout_co.paa ??? what is this???

I've seen this on config.cpp and haven't found what this stands for?

Does anyone knows something about it?

class OutsideTerrain

{

satellite = "afghanistan\data\s_satout_co.paa";

enableTerrainSynth = 1;

class Layers

{

class Layer0

{

nopx = "afghanistan\data\cr_trava1_detail_nopx.paa";

texture = "afghanistan\data\cr_trava1_detail_co.paa";

};

};

};

Pretty much is what it claims to be I believe.

It's the off map "Outside" terrain. I'm not 100% on what exactly the s_satout_co.paa is, although I assume it's the satellite image for the OutsideTerrain (what the ground looks like from the air, in part), along with the parameter to turn it on/off, and lastly the ground texture for the OutsideTerrain. Which I believe there can only be one.

Hope that info helps a bit.

Cheers

When you say "there can be only one" (just like the highlander movie hehehe) you mean only one per map ??? It is tweakable... how it suppose to look... the satout I've seen its odd... and I do not understand how it was built... just an ugly texture graphic... :(

Lol. Yes, per map. Although I'm not absolute on that point. I've only ever seen one, and pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Regarding the process for developing that particular image, I'm not sure. Oddly every thing I've toyed with has been islands (surrounded by water), so no need to look into it myself. I'm sure some of the other guys know.

Being a satellite image for the outside terrain, my assumption is that there would be little detail to the image, just some general smearing of ground colors as there is no definition/detail to things on the OutsideTerrain. I could be wrong though.

You need the sat_out thing only if you are building a terrain not an island.

To make the "outside" terrain working fine, you will need something build like this, from chernarus.cpp:

class OutsideTerrain {

satellite = "ca\CHERNARUS\data\s_satout_co.paa";

enableTerrainSynth = 1;

class Layers {

class Layer0 {

nopx = "ca\CHERNARUS\data\cr_trava1_detail_nopx.paa";

texture = "ca\CHERNARUS\data\cr_trava1_detail_co.paa";

};

};

};

The "s_satout_co.paa" picture is a 512x512 pic you can build with any soft you have. I am using The Gimp for this purpose. I have build all the satout pics I am using from Google earth picture heavily edited to get the right tones fitting my maps.

As this picture will be repeated a lot of time around your terrain, you must work so, it will work "seamless" with your terrain you must use a pic without too colour variation at the edges.

For a start you can use the "cr_trava1_detail_co.paa" for European maps and the tk-s_satout_co.paa for Desert maps even if it's a bit grey.

Using TexView2.exeyou can open and save the .paa picture as a .tga file then edited it like you want. When it's done save your edited .tga file, open it with TexView2.exe and save it back as .paa.