Sign in to follow this  
callihn

Disable -showscripterrors?

Is there a way to disable -showscripterrors in a mission so those of us that run with it all the time don't have to remove it from our startup to keep from seeing the errors unless the mission is running in debug mode?

Yes, well I can obviously only count on one person to follow that, are you saying it can't be done?

Point is I have a few script errors that I can't seem to get rid of and everything works as expected, so I tend to want to remove the features rather than have ugly black boxes poping up.

Edited by callihn

You can't toggle startup commands while the program is running, so no. You'll either need to fix the script errors or restart the game unfortunately.

If your mission is generating enough errors that it becomes annoying for the player then i think you need to worry about fixing the mission not blocking the error messages :p

Well to me any error is annoying, but many script errors do not cause problems and sometimes fixing them is a bit tedious to say the least, in this case it's not the mission it's in a config.cpp for an addon, the functions work but they error and the error makes no sense, though I'm obviously working on it the simply solution would have been to have an option to tell it to STFU. For now I have disabled opening and closing the doors and trunk on the vehicles until I can stop the script error from running, in fact I may just leave it that way since often opening vehicle doors are more trouble than they are worth in game.

Edited by callihn

Would be nice to do. I also have two shortcuts but its a pain to back out and restart arma. I like to go from editor right into gaming. One error I always get is when someone fires a tow missile from the ace cobra.

File x\ace\addons\sys_missileguidance\XEH_preInit.sqf, line 45
Error in expression < 0} else {_this};     ;
{ _this spawn _x } forEach (_unit getVariable'Extended_Inco>
 Error position: <forEach (_unit getVariable'Extended_Inco>
 Error Generic error in expression
File x\ace\addons\sys_missileguidance\XEH_preInit.sqf, line 45

Now that I thought of that I will go make a ticket

Good work, I was just about to suggest reporting it instead of suppressing it :p. It's important that these errors are reported to the addon teams.

I don't see the purpose of disabling it though via a command. Those who doesn't script run without it, and those who do script tend to want to see these errors even if they are not their own. When I do something in a downloaded mission and get an error message, at least I know that what I'm doing might not work due to scripting issue, instead of trying again and again not knowing anything. Maybe I could fix it myself.

Also it makes the mission maker/scripter go to great lengths to get rid of any scripting errors.

No, it can't be done at this time, and I'll vote no for the feature.

@callihn:

Post your errors and error generating scripts and we might be able to help out.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Good work, I was just about to suggest reporting it instead of suppressing it :p. It's important that these errors are reported to the addon teams.

I don't see the purpose of disabling it though via a command. Those who doesn't script run without it, and those who do script tend to want to see these errors even if they are not their own. When I do something in a downloaded mission and get an error message, at least I know that what I'm doing might not work due to scripting issue, instead of trying again and again not knowing anything. Maybe I could fix it myself.

Also it makes the mission maker/scripter go to great lengths to get rid of any scripting errors.

No, it can't be done at this time, and I'll vote no for the feature.

@callihn:

Post your errors and error generating scripts and we might be able to help out.

Well again there's a reason for debug and it would be great to be able to disable showing script errors when debug is not enabled, as for voting I'm pretty sure this is not a democratic process, mostly because there is no such thing and frankly I suspect you probably voted for Bush too, I say that because you seem to be adamantly against anything that may make the game better, but let's not get into lengthy discussion on the value of human life or the lack thereof. ;)

That being said feel free to download this addon:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4661&ratings=1

And tell me why it gives an error when you open and close the doors but not the trunk and I'll hold my breath because we both know that's not going to happen.

Hmmm, I think he's in Norway, so he didn't have the pleasure of voting for our fantastic politicians.

That particular mod was made for Armed Assault, and just happens to "work" in A2. Regarding the door errors, in the config there are user actions defined, which open and shut the doors, and the doors call an external script that does this for each door:

?(this animationphase "ani_door1" > 0.5): this lock false; this animate ["ani_doorind", 1]; exit
?(this animationphase "ani_door1" < 0.5): this lock true; this animate ["ani_doorind", 0]

It looks to me that based on the door position, it should lock or unlock the door. This is not happening. I've never worked on mods, so I'm not sure if "this" is appropriate or not, but the A2 game engine is rejecting it. Normally you see "_this" inside a script.

BTW, the trunk does *not* call any external scripts, apparently no lock on it, hehe.

My opinion on the showing script errors is that it's fine as it is. I too get annoyed when I download a mission and errors galore, because I always run with show script errors on. However, an error means that something is not working. We may not see what it is, like the locks on the police car, and it looks fine, but something is busted. I realize that getting the error, and understanding it are two different things, but I would think that anyone building a mod or mission would want their work to function as intended.

You've probably seen this, just throwing it out, there's a new police car mod for A2. It has less features at the moment, but looks they plan to expand, and it takes 0 errors (at least in preview mode testing).

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12197

Edited by AZCoder

I suspect you probably voted for Bush too, I say that because you seem to be adamantly against anything that may make the game better, but let's not get into lengthy discussion on the value of human life or the lack thereof. ;)

Huh, what's with this personal thing now? Do you attack everybody not agreeing with you like this, or did I make an exclusive list when I tried to help you out earlier. Wow...

And, no, I'll throw my votes based on what I think is important. If every idea had the same number of votes, then the really important stuff wouldn't weight as much as they should and be put down further on the priority target list.

For this one, I would vote negatively because it mostly concerns those who wants to hide their mistakes (like BIS, before we got the startup parameter :p), or like in your case, choose to use outdated addons that now generate errors. The learning curve is pretty steep as it is. Adding commands east and west only help hiding the commands you're looking for even more.

That being said feel free to download this addon:

Sorry, don't need it. And btw, I failed to read the line that it was about an addon error. I was under the impression that you wanted to hide your own mistakes. Did you contact the author in hope for a fix, or permission to include fix with mission? If all fails and times are desperate, you could try to "fix it on the fly" using mergeConfigFile (can be dangerous).

And tell me why it gives an error when you open and close the doors but not the trunk and I'll hold my breath because we both know that's not going to happen.

I guess AZCoder already answered that. So you can start breathing again... :o

And you failed producing the error message, but instead wanted us to download some addon to see it.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Huh, what's with this personal thing now? Do you attack everybody not agreeing with you like this, or did I make an exclusive list when I tried to help you out earlier. Wow...

And, no, I'll throw my votes based on what I think is important. If every idea had the same number of votes, then the really important stuff wouldn't weight as much as they should and be put down further on the priority target list.

For this one, I would vote negatively because it mostly concerns those who wants to hide their mistakes (like BIS, before we got the startup parameter :p), or like in your case, choose to use outdated addons that now generate errors. The learning curve is pretty steep as it is. Adding commands east and west only help hiding the commands you're looking for even more.

Sorry, don't need it. And btw, I failed to read the line that it was about an addon error. I was under the impression that you wanted to hide your own mistakes. Did you contact the author in hope for a fix, or permission to include fix with mission? If all fails and times are desperate, you could try to "fix it on the fly" using mergeConfigFile (can be dangerous).

I guess AZCoder already answered that. So you can start breathing again... :o

And you failed producing the error message, but instead wanted us to download some addon to see it.

Nope, just you, your always voting against making my life easier, you apparently have no ideal how horrible it is, so I thought I'd yank your chain a bit. :p

As far as I know neither mergeConfigFile nor using it on my machine as a learning tool require permission, since the formor does not change any of the authors content and the latter is never seen by anyone else. Though it doesn't look like merging would not work since these errors are not in the config, assuming I can get it working to a degree I think he might be interested in looking at it I will let him know, but I don't see that happening at the moment, for one I can't get the damn radar working and two would involve the missing env_co.paa error, third being these animation errors, would be nice to see some a fixed version but it's not looking too good in all directions.

Hmmm, I think he's in Norway, so he didn't have the pleasure of voting for our fantastic politicians.

That particular mod was made for Armed Assault, and just happens to "work" in A2. Regarding the door errors, in the config there are user actions defined, which open and shut the doors, and the doors call an external script that does this for each door:

?(this animationphase "ani_door1" > 0.5): this lock false; this animate ["ani_doorind", 1]; exit
?(this animationphase "ani_door1" < 0.5): this lock true; this animate ["ani_doorind", 0]

It looks to me that based on the door position, it should lock or unlock the door. This is not happening. I've never worked on mods, so I'm not sure if "this" is appropriate or not, but the A2 game engine is rejecting it. Normally you see "_this" inside a script.

Nothing better has come along since. I commented those lines completely out with ; in that script and the error still happens, it's also always on ani_door4 regardless of the door. I can comment the classes in the config and not have working doors to fix it but... :( Ohh wait I found it, wrong script and you were right it was the _this, though I thought removal of that locking function was better than the fix since I had already setup the config to not open or close the doors or trunk if the vehicle was locked.

..... I realize that getting the error, and understanding it are two different things, but I would think that anyone building a mod or mission would want their work to function as intended.

Sure, but sometimes wanting is not enough. ;)

You've probably seen this, just throwing it out, there's a new police car mod for A2. It has less features at the moment, but looks they plan to expand, and it takes 0 errors (at least in preview mode testing).

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12197

Yea, they are horrible in comparison though.

Edited by callihn

Nope, just you, your always voting against making my life easier, you apparently have no ideal how horrible it is, so I thought I'd yank your chain a bit. :p

Roger. Noted and dealt with.

Yea, they are horrible in comparison though.

You truly know how to pick the words in a public forum...

You truly know how to pick the words in a public forum...

I just call it like I see it and if you compair the two addons and come up with a better description I'd recommend getting your eyewear prescription checked. Describing them as horrible in comparison was actually being far too kind.

Btw, the paa not found is because wheels does not belong in the path. The image is in the base CA addon. However I have no idea where it is called from. Doesn't seem to be in config.cpp.

Btw, the paa not found is because wheels does not belong in the path. The image is in the base CA addon. However I have no idea where it is called from. Doesn't seem to be in config.cpp.

It's in the model itself, so is there a way I can fix that, like with an addon containing that file or something like that?

I had a feeling about that, but I got that "binarized" error when I tried to snoop around in O2, which tells me that the original model is needed. My only idea is to see if you can reach the author on it :D

I seriously doubt if they even have the original and it would probably be a safe bet thet if they do and they wanted it fixed I wouldn't be having to look for ways to fix it without changing files because they would have already.

Wish we could get more content in these areas but I don't see that happening either.

Is that a file from ArmA1 then?

I don't know a lot about the modeling. There is a good tutorial from OFPEC but it made me fall asleep. I just like to script and make up plots :) All I know is that any model file turned into final form cannot be reversed engineered, but BIS did release Arma1 models that were not finalized, for learning to use O2. This won't help though unless you are super ambitious and make cop cars from scratch. ;)

I don't know a lot about the modeling. There is a good tutorial from OFPEC but it made me fall asleep. I just like to script and make up plots :) All I know is that any model file turned into final form cannot be reversed engineered, but BIS did release Arma1 models that were not finalized, for learning to use O2. This won't help though unless you are super ambitious and make cop cars from scratch. ;)

Any ideal on why the texture is missing though? Is it an ArmA 1 texture?

Anyone know if it's possible to replace the missing file somehow?

Missing texture: ca\wheeled\data\env_co.paa

Edited by callihn

The texture is not missing, just go into the CA addon and navigate to data. Ignore wheeled, that's not in A2. It looks like it might be the mirror reflection, maybe.

BIS probably moved that paa file for A2. Few A1 mods work at all in A2. So yeah.

So, back to my point, wouldn't it be nice to hide unimportant errors that can't be fixed.

Couldn't this texture error be fixed with an addon dropped in the main addon folder?