Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Joystick Throttle

Seems like my joystick that I just got today... Logitech Extreme 3d Pro works fine with combined ops except the analog throttle control...

I did have a small issue with the twist rudder being activated accidentally by banking but I fixed that by adding a dead zone to the twisting and that worked fine in the joystick software.

The biggest and most annoying problem is that the throttle in the game does not correspond to the actual physical position of the throttle lever on the stick and that at what should be 50 percent power indicated on the stick is actually causing your helo to fall from the sky like a semi-rock. It isn't until 75 percent power that the helo is stabilized in a "hover" and at 100 percent power the helo takes off like a rocket into the air and at what should be 25 percent power causing the helo to descend gently... Makes it fall from the sky like a rock...

so any way to fix this at all?

If not I think I resort to non analog thrust and use 2 joystick buttons as "q" and "z" respectively, although that would be a tremendous shame...

I had similar problems with my X52 before in the game also as in the thrust lever not registering "correctly"

Seems like my joystick that I just got today... Logitech Extreme 3d Pro works fine with combined ops except the analog throttle control...

I did have a small issue with the twist rudder being activated accidentally by banking but I fixed that by adding a dead zone to the twisting and that worked fine in the joystick software.

The biggest and most annoying problem is that the throttle in the game does not correspond to the actual physical position of the throttle lever on the stick and that at what should be 50 percent power indicated on the stick is actually causing your helo to fall from the sky like a semi-rock. It isn't until 75 percent power that the helo is stabilized in a "hover" and at 100 percent power the helo takes off like a rocket into the air and at what should be 25 percent power causing the helo to descend gently... Makes it fall from the sky like a rock...

so any way to fix this at all?

If not I think I resort to non analog thrust and use 2 joystick buttons as "q" and "z" respectively, although that would be a tremendous shame...

I had similar problems with my X52 before in the game also as in the thrust lever not registering "correctly"

Bind it to both sides of the Z axis. Sounds like you only have one side bound so the anything 50% and above works, but anything less is ignored and left as 0%. What you are looking for is Z+ and Z-. Sounds like you only have Z+ bound.

-X

its known as logitech stick slider 1+ and logitech stick slider 1- and both are bound to the analog thrust and brake respectively

I have a saitek evo, and have the exact same problem. If anyone does have a fix for this, please come forth and speak :)

Yes, please enlighten us dear god this problem makes flying like your a rocket or a rock

its known as logitech stick slider 1+ and logitech stick slider 1- and both are bound to the analog thrust and brake respectively

Your problem is that you have bound it to the analog thrust. That is wrong.

-X

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Just looked - Bind it instead to increase and decrease thrust.

Analog I believe is for the old school 'real' analog controllers. Yours is digital.

-X

I tried it without analog also and the result is i speed up full speed, slow down full brake or am at idle... Seems like its an issue with how the game configures the throttle of the stick.

Is there anything I can do on my end to fix it?

Try calibrating the stick. Should be something in control panel to do that if it is possible on that stick. My Cougar has a control panel calibration program.

There is no such option to recalibrate the stick in the windows control panel... It just has a test screen and everything functions as it should in it.

There is a profiler software for the stick where you can edit settings also, but this is more for fine tuning the stick for different games and its a software profiler.

The issue is the joystick throttle function in arrowhead setup or something and its not hardware related to my stick... But software profiler and game settings related it seems.

And I am not the only person with this issue.

The root of the problem is joystick control for fixed wing AND rotary wing... When you have to make a control for both using the same functions you are bound to have problems.

Thrust control for fixed wing should work like 0-100 or 110 if equipped with afterburner

for rotary wing 0-50 to descend and hover and 50-100 from hover to ascend...

As xman1 said in his first post Arma seperates it as two different axis, "slider 1-" from 50-100 and "slider 1+" from 50-0. There doesn't seem to be anything in the profiler software or Arma settings to change this :(

Like Baz, i have tried all of the above, i have used my saitek software and it registers the throttle as soon as i lift it. But arma seems to miss the first 50% of it. I have taken it off analog in-game now as suggested above, and while its a little better its still not 100%. Cheers for help though! much appreciated.

Like Baz, i have tried all of the above, i have used my saitek software and it registers the throttle as soon as i lift it. But arma seems to miss the first 50% of it. I have taken it off analog in-game now as suggested above, and while its a little better its still not 100%. Cheers for help though! much appreciated.

If you have set everything properly, then I'd hate to say it, but I don't think ARMA 2 is at fault here. I'd be looking at Saitek.

-X

If you have set everything properly, then I'd hate to say it, but I don't think ARMA 2 is at fault here. I'd be looking at Saitek.

-X

Not quite true, this issue has been around for a while. Have look here.

The problem is Arma only accepts part of the axis (+ or - ) to map to a particular function.

On my X52 the throttle is the Z axis, if I map analogue throttle to Z+ axis, throttle only works at 50% to 100%. If I map it to Z- axis, it only works from 49% to 0%.

I've tried other solutions posted in the forums about using PPJoy and GlovePIE, but they still don't seem to work for me.

The only solution for me that works is to unbind analogue throttle and bind Increase Thrust to Z+ axis and decrease thrust Z- axis.

Have a search through the forums there a quite few threads around this.

That is why you must use decrease thrust and increase thrust. And you must map the negative to decrease and the positive to increase.

Doing so will make the full range of your throttle work. Also - Remove it from the analog thrust setting and analog brake setting.

If you are doing this, then every joystick works that I have seen. If it doesn't, then it is a Saitek exclusive.

That is what I was trying to point out.

-X