Sign in to follow this  
Garfield2010

Arma 2 Crossfire Specs

Hi guys

I currently have a ATI Radeon 4890 DDR5 1Gig screencard with a superfast PC, but even this gets some lag at some stages (especially with the FPS benchmark no 2 option in the missions). Also when I drive around sometimes in third person view and am going through a town......

Do you guys think a second 4890 card in crossfire mode will sove the problem or should I just get a new top of the range stand alone card?

:yay:

Hi there

Ok but budget wise how much will that hurt me? Another 4890 is more affordable is it not?

Hi there

Ok but budget wise how much will that hurt me? Another 4890 is more affordable is it not?

I dont get why people buy crossfire or sli, it is just not reliable tech that works good on very few games. Why dont you sell your 4890 and get better one?? And benchark2 will lag on anything, no matter what gpu u use (cpu bottleneck).

Ok cool. I will do that then. I just heard a lot about crossfire and all that.

Regards

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I dont get why people buy crossfire or sli, it is just not reliable tech that works good on very few games. Why dont you sell your 4890 and get better one?? And benchark2 will lag on anything, no matter what gpu u use (cpu bottleneck).

Just for interest sake.......

Does it work on ARMA 2?

This game is much CPU depending for its huge AI Scripting. Not only requires good card by good CPU, many people recommend a i7-920. Thats why I only get 30 FPS in SP with i5-750

Games that dont use crossfire, dont even need 2 cards generally. I got a 2nd 5770 for under $200 which gives me preformance of a 5870 sometimes even more. Crossfire is reliable now. I have games from 2002 that use crossfire, and if the game dont use xfire, theres lots of ways to make it work.

As for upgrade path shit, thats personal prefrence, i prefer good preformance now rather then later.

2 4890s easily beat a 5870 which costs a LOT more. Depending on what resolution you're running at I would:

1. Get another 4890 IF

a. You can get it fairly cheap

b. Can afford to run it (Looking at near 400W to run two of them and 550+ Watt when running them 100%)

c. Have a capable PSU already

d. Have a high spec CPU i5/i7 to prevent substantial bottlenecking

(If you do not meet these then a 5870 might be a better solution financially)

2. Wait 1-2 months for the ATI 6 series to be released and see how the prices are affected, which may open the route to a 5870... but I would only consider such an option if they dropped much lower in price.

I run at 2048x1152 with two 4890s and rarely get below 60FPS (limited ofcourse by vsync), and currently cannot upgrade as no card can match the performance without double cost i.e. 5970.

So you could spend £130 and get another 4890 and have substantial performance... or spend £300 and get less performance but the amazing DirectX 11 which only a SMALL handful of games take advantage of and wont see the full use of the techology (5000 series are 1st gen DX11 so low performance compared to what is coming). This of course all depends on how you're sucked into marketing without looking at the figures.

Edited by rexehuk

Thanks

I do have an i7 core so I will be installing my second card this evening.... cant wait!!!

Will do the benchmarking FPS in ARMA before and after..........

I get fantastic frame rates with everything on Normal and High, with max AA and AF in 1680x1050. However in that benchmark I lag a bit also, even on my workstation it lags a bit, but as stated, it's a Cpu bottleneck. Never in game have I had the frame rate drop like it does in that benchmark, it's pretty extreme and not a perfect example of your typical game session.

Your Cpu should do as well as mine I'm sure, probably better, except in extremely high resolutions, for some reason AMD does better there.

As for upgrades, well it's a tough choice.. A second 4890 would be pretty nice, although.. it would require more power, and you won't get support in "all" titles, but most, and certainly the ones that matter, will support it.

If it were me, I'd sell the 4890, and go with a Radeon 5870. Less power, less heat(vs two 4890's Xfired), DX11/SM5.0/DirectCompute support (Yay tessellation and DC shadows), this would be a smarter choice in the long run. Far less power consumption, less heat + better airflow in the case, and the ability to run two 5870's down the road. The difference in idle power consumption alone is worth going with the 5870. It's just better to get all that performance in a single package, for those reasons and more. Although...you can get a second 4890 for really cheap now..

Edited by Rhammstein

With OA, crossfire and SLI cause nothing but problems. I run at 2048X1152, I used to have a 4870x2 and it would struggle to run at Very High/High settings. I just sold that and got a GTX 480 and my FPS is amazing! First time I've ever experienced 60 FPS in OA.

Single GPUS are definitely better for this game and most others.