Sign in to follow this  
BigBANGtheory

Simple suggestion for Newbies

Arma2:OA is my first game of the series (and I never played OFP), so as a complete newbie its quite hard to get into and I have a simple suggestion to help other newbies.

Don't do all the tutorials, then start the single player campaign because after a while the tutorials overload you with information and leave you poorly prepared as a result. Instead do the tutorials inline with the demmands of the campaign missions i.e. learn how to use armour vehicles when the campaign requires it, learn how to fly the helicopter when the campaign requires it.

By doing it this way I finally got into Arma2:OA where as the other way I got bored/frustrated and reverted to 'other games'.

I think you should pass on this advice in the 1st Tutorial for the benefit of complete beginners... I am not saying you should force players to do it this way just advise them.

..btw the printed manual is wrong with respect to the 'auto hover' key assignment for the UK region.

..I also played OFPDragonRising and I find Arma2:OA to be much much better.

Good advice.

I have OFP, and played since 2001, and the thing that helped learn the game, especially the controls,

is to pick a simple mission, and adjust the controls, if your unsure about something then hit escape

and adjust something and go back and see the result, you can also,hop in the editor and throw down

a unit and play around with the controls, and adjust them to how you want,

without worry about getting shot at.

It is another way to learn how to use vehicles, and choppers,

as well as planes, even command a squad.

Editor is not hard at all to learn, all your really doing is double

clicking on the map to add what you want.

thats one way to do it.

Good Idea, I started with OFP and it took the same approach of infantry combat > infantry command > tanks > tank command > aircraft and it worked very well, arma 2 does tend to drop you in the deep end at times