Sign in to follow this  
polar bear

Select everyone in a vehicle OTHER than its crew

Especially for APC's and transport helicopters it ought to be possible to select only the passengers in a vehicle and order them to disembark. I know you can do this by creating teams and then navigating the team menus but that's pretty fiddly and error prone.

I'd like to be able to order everyone into an APC, drive it around for awhile, and then order everyone out who is not a driver or a gunner. Say, because we've just been ambushed.

As an alternative order specific individuals to 'locl' themselves to the vehicle so that they ignore "all, disembark" orders until 'unlocked'.

Anyway, some more convenient way to order around transport vehicles and their passengers separately.

Edited by Polar Bear

~ (to select everyone) -> F2 (to deselect the driver) -> Disembark Or script something to have cargo units disembark, maybe dynamically create a Transport Unload waypoint or something?

It's not fiddly or error prone, you just suck.

How eloquent.

Rather than trying to tell everyone that they suck, how about placing some thought into your future posts? I think that in vehicles with multiple crewmembers, it would be nice to have passengers disembark in an expedient manner if the situation calls for it.

Polar Bear if you order all of your men to get in the vehicle they will all take up any free places. If you order all of your men to disembark all of them leave the vehicle. How should the AI know what do you mean with "All Get in" and "All disembark"? How the AI should know what do you like to do? Its easier and faster to create colored crew and fire teams...

Its just a matter of practice!

How eloquent.

Rather than trying to tell everyone that they suck, how about placing some thought into your future posts? I think that in vehicles with multiple crewmembers, it would be nice to have passengers disembark in an expedient manner if the situation calls for it.

write a script then. Mudkip is actually right for once.:j:

I tend to give each crew its own team, and so do i with all my infantry if i use them. You can simply select each team by holding shift and pressing the f-key that corresponds with a member of that team. That seems easy enough for me. You're right that it takes some time to make those teams, but selecting them is just a piece of cake.

How eloquent.

Dude, his name is Mudkip and his avatar is of one. Why do you even listen to what he says? :rolleyes:

It's not fiddly or error prone, you just suck.

So, say I've got a little convoy going with 2-3 vehicles, each one has both passengers as well as driver and one or more gunners, and then I get ambushed.

How do I quickly tell all the passengers in all 2-3 vehicles disembark without having the gunners and drivers also disembark?

How long would it take you to set up the teams for that? And you say it's not error prone--I think now and then you would accidentally mark someone as being on the passenger team when actually they were your gunner, or with so many different teams to keep track of you might order the wrong team out in a panic under fire.

OK now there's been a bit of a fight and you start telling people to get back into vehicles--oops, not the same ones, because one of your vehicles has been destroyed and a few of your team killed. So it's a new arrangement. There's likely enemy reinforcements on the way so you need to get out of here NOW, you don't have a lot of time to fiddle with your fiddly team assignments as you sit there trying to sort out which ranks got killed, etc., before everyone boards and you drive off.

Please tell me how you would do this without it being fiddly or prone to error.

Maybe I do suck, I am a n00b after all, and no I don't apologize for it either--but if you can't come up with an eloquent solution to the above problem then you may have some crow to eat, and that might suck for you. If you do have an eloquent solution I'd *love* to know what it is.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

IHow should the AI know what do you mean with "All Get in" and "All disembark"? How the AI should know what do you like to do?

Well with the current game my expectation is the AI won't know, that's why I posted it in the suggestions section rather than asking how in general! :)

I can imagine how the code would work for "All passengers, disembark"

It would be something like this:

{ if (!isGunner(_x) and !isDriver(_x)) then { disembark _x; } foreach _units;

Only it'd be available on the action menu as "Passengers disembark" or some such.

Yes I could create an add-on, might even do that as a little learn-to-write-an-addon exercise, however i'd like to be able to use it playing on pubs against others so it would be nice if it were part of the stock game instead, especially if the pub I want to play on uses signature checking to prevent unauthorized add-ons, etc.

Edited by Polar Bear

Assign crew members as a team, select the crew ~9: pick a color. Does wonders...