Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Men not doing what they are told

I've noticed this lately, don't know if this is from the new patches or not, but when I tell some men to move to a certain spot they move there then start wondering all over the place. I'm trying to do a bounding overwatch across the terrain, but my red team doesn't stay where I tell them. I have to give them a 'hold' command when they get to position, which is uneccessary work for me. Why aren't they staying where I tell them? This goes for any combat posture I give them, aware, stealth, danger, etc.

Also I am finding that even though I give my men the 'advance' command they aren't doing it, nor are they flanking left or right on command. Does the mission need waypoints set for my squad for them to advance when ordered? I thought this sent them ahead by 50 yards using cover. This is in the Red Hammer campaign.

COLINMAN

I also noticed this a couple of times since 1.46 patch.

Not always though. Odd.

the AI is simply utterly stupid since 1.46

most of the time i can't even get my squad to get in the truck or pick up that RPG launcher

"2 board jeep"

*2 stand there and does nothing*

"2 negative"

GET IN THE JEEP YOU F****** moron. outbursts biggrin.gif

Your men can be total morons at times...as in running directly into the line of fire etc. etc.

That's why I prefer to play as another part of the squad, so that I don't get frustrated as all my men are mown down by a single enemy soldier.

In the mission where u have to destroy a scud launcher in the original campaign... I simply Ordered my men to stand still, while i went out and destroyed the scud (i killed one of my own law launchers to steal it), and went back home. I didnt even asked for the tank or chopper backup.

I guess if it have to be done properly, u have to do it ya self.

yeah...i never kill friendly AI unless i run them over tho. if i need a LAW launcher i'll grab it off him in the briefing

I don't have problems with AI getting in the vehicle. I also don't use them much in missions. They are following me in some missions and i have them only for support me. I don't give them any difficult commands like engage soldier, i just tell them to fall back into formation and open, hold fire, at ease, stealth, danger, halt, go prone, lie down, stad up... Just important commands and they're always great that way. they don't die, they are careful and they don't look stupid. I also don't tell LAw soldier to engage BMp or any other tank. He does that even if u don't order him to enage it.. And trust me. That's the best way. He'll usually die if you'll say engage BMP. I ususally have a LAW in every mission and i take care for everything. AI's are really better if they are controlled by AI leader. smile.gif

Command is only for the experts Like Me!

I have played missions with very low or zero casualties where I never fired a shot.

Its down to tactics and strategy grunts

I have also done the original demo without using any of the western troops and I took out all all the troops, the tanks and the shilka. All on my tod.

So there! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Ai are compleate nutters im playing infinate justice mission and when i order the AI into the chopper thats 3 feet from them they just stand there like lemons saying negative...

I was in a bmp on another map and told my AI driver to get out .

He did and ran 100 yards striaght into the sea and drowned...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ April 28 2002,16:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Command is only for the experts Like Me!

I have played missions with very low or zero casualties where I never fired a shot.

Its down to tactics and strategy grunts

I have also done the original demo without using any of the western troops and I took out all all the troops, the tanks and the shilka. All on my tod.

So there! biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well. I don't even have any casualties in missinos where i'm the leader, because i do all the work. biggrin.gif

They can't get killed lol. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (follow through @ April 28 2002,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ai are compleate nutters im playing infinate justice mission and when i order the AI into the chopper thats 3 feet from them they just stand there like lemons saying negative...

I was in a bmp on another map and told my AI driver to get out .

He did and ran 100 yards striaght into the sea and drowned...<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. I don't have any problmes like that with AI. I think AI is pretty good in OFP. You'll see what bad AI is if you'll play other games such as this one.

The most annoying thing for me is when I tell my Special Op (Laser) guy to target the T80 which is no more than 400 meters away and he doesn't do it.  I give him the order "Weapon Laser Designator", yet he seems to stand there like a moron.  Hell when I issue that order it isn't even spoken.

For some reason there is a high percentage when he never targets the vehicles with his Laser designator.

Same thing goes for Kiowa. When I'm on the ground and issue the order for them to target a tank, they always use the Hydra rockets and attack it, when all I want is for them to use the Laser Designator. I tried the "Action" command, but there isn't even the option to order them to change weapon to Laser Designator. So how does one go about ordering the Kiowa to Laser Target a vehicle ?

It's annoying bugs like these that make the A-10(LGB) useless as it's quite difficult getting the Laser units actually target.

I think the worst example I've had yesterday was I had a sniper rifle and one of my squad was also a sniper. He wasted 4 mags taking the first objective in the mission ( take out the 4 vulcans in Red Hammer ) So I traded my Dragnov for a M-21 on a dead guy and preseded to try to order my sniper to pick up the now available Dragnov mags on the ground. He was standing right beside me and kept saying negative. Finally I picked up the Dragnov again, moved to another soldier and swithed guns with him, ordered my sniper over and positioned him right ontop of the rifle on the ground. Finally he was able to pick up the mags. Damn it took me 20min to get him to rearm. Maddning. Really wish there was a scavage command. Your men try to find ammo after a battle or find a similiar rifle if no ammo is found. Would make it a lot easier.

COLINMAN

Some of the stuff u do in OFP... Imagine if it was real life. If you need a LAW just turn around and shoot your mate in the face and then leave the rest standing in the road LOL

to the guy who was having probs with their men going to a spot as ordered then wandering off- try telling everyone to disengage first. if your men are in "engage at will" mode i think they will wander off even when ordered to a position if they think they can get a shot at the enemy. they may be in engage at will mode from the beginning of the mission even if u didnt use that command at all.

when all else fails theres always the stop command smile.gif

Now that I think about it, the AI do seem to have gotten more stupid since 1.46.

I seem to get a lot more "negative" responses to perfectly reasonable commands than I used to. confused.gif

they're not always safe when you go on your own

i had them hide in a forest and forgot to put them on hold fire when a BMP decided to trot by. you all know how to AI is so you can figure the outcome out smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (grey @ April 29 2002,00:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">to the guy who was having probs with their men going to a spot as ordered then wandering off- try telling everyone to disengage first. if your men are in "engage at will" mode i think they will wander off even when ordered to a position if they think they can get a shot at the enemy. they may be in engage at will mode from the beginning of the mission even if u didnt use that command at all.

when all else fails theres always the stop command smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Haven't thought about that. I understood the disengage command as a orderly retreat command. If you look at the faq it's supposed to make the men move back, but still shoot, so I never thought of doing that.

I have been telling my men to stop, but damn if they could actually stay together in a formation as they move. One guy is usually still back at the start point when the leader says 'ready'. (this is one area that GR does better than OFP, the movement of a squad, either covering each other, or stay together, don't have to worry about that, then again, I can't split those groups apart if I need to)

COLINMAN

I don't seem to have much trouble with AI all that much in infantry. Mostly because I am one of them grunts that does not always follow orders (well most of the time I do if i can see the target the officer has given me) but in tank missions THATS where I get it tough. No matter what position I am the AI messes the tank up. If I'm commander the driver drives all over the place and the gunner aims the turret to the rear when "no target" is given so when you target a tank in front of you it takes a while to swing the turret around to shoot. Being driver is fine except the commander targets troops with Sabots while enemy tanks are right in front of you, plus the gunner is swinging the turret everywhere. Being gunner is fine but again the driver goes everywhere but where he is suppost to. But infantry seem to be alright for me even with me as commander. Maybe they respect me.

What is the most annoying to me is that your AI mates are constantly doing position changes in a very funny way;

even if you just move a couple of metres, your men begin sprinting, turning on the spot- going back and forth (doing the breakdance) and trying to relocate, sometimes some squadmembers end up running around the group because somehow they missed their assigned point within the squad, this happens often in cities or woods.

They often get in the line of fire or just present a good target that way.

I wish they would not always be running, and outfitted with a few more animation steps that would eliminate the breakdance effect like seen when they spin on their heals to face a new heading- this looks especially stupid when they are lying on the ground and change heading.

i found 2 instances of GOOD ai in a mission yesterday

1: i was a U.S. officer leading some resistance troops (5 of us) and we stumbled across a soviet squad. i had them on hold fire, i assigned them targets then told them all to open fire. the tracers and burst sounds looked and sounded so cool especially when i saw the blood off their targets.

2: i kept seeing large bullet holes appearing on the ground around me. i ignored them and figured i had just missed them until one exploded in my face. it was a HE round from a BMP-2 was at least 750m away on the side of a hill. when it zoomed out he was well out of visual range. nice shooting sad.gif