Sign in to follow this  
vshadow

9P117 SCUD-B missile use

Not sure if this should be here or editing, so sorry if it should be in advance.

I was wondering if there was any use for the 9P117 SCUD-B, as there does not seem to be any sort of way to aim the missile. Is this the launch options purely for cinematic purposes?

ah my bad the one time I don't search as well :blush: *delete please*

Edited by vshadow

Well that's great we can launch it, now what?

In OA it can launch without any scripting, but I still have a missle that does nothing.

How do you actually make it target something?

You can't. It's a ballistic missile, and I'm guessing the minimum range is well outside any of the vanilla maps. Use it for props, objectives in your missions. I do the same even for GRAD/MLRS, as I find them far too powerful to be actually used for something.

Umm - with the new Mando Missile feature you definitely can target on-map.

Whether a nuclear warhead is too powerful depends on your mission. 5 kilotons does make a mess of a town, but not the entire map.

If you are willing to do a little study of the use of tactical nukes on the battlefield you'll see cases where this could be much more than a prop or mission target.

Sorry, I was considering addon free only. I'm generally against nukes (or any of the NBC warheads it can carry). When I'm in the mood for such things, I'll go blow up Megaton instead - at least that looks and feels like a nuclear strike :p As long as the game (no addons) doesn't have the incendiary effects, radiation effects and measuring, and fallen trees keep blocking our view but not the AI's, and long term political effects in a campaign, I'll stay well clear of them.

If you dislike addons then there is always the option to use the scripted version. And it does have incendiary, radiation, etc - we try to be thorough. Very usefull vs tank concentrations - the radiation can kill the crew and leave the vehicles in good enough shape to be captured.

Look here if you want to see a scud that works.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1737425&postcount=1617

Edited by Evil_Echo
New info.