Sign in to follow this  
D.scardino

Military operations - common callsigns

Alrite, looking for a little help from you guys. I'm not sure if this is in the right spot. If not please move it. Anyways, in an attempt to make missions more realistic, I'm looking for some examples of real life callsigns assigned to units during real time operations.

Ie, assault forces, quick reaction forces, close air support, medevac, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dino

Callsigns change on an Operation to Operation basis I think. I know in Blackhawk Down that the blackhawks were Super (ex Super 6-4, Super 6-1) and the littlebirds were Stars (ex. Star 4-1).

There was also an operation in Iraq called Operation Red Dawn. It was the operation that eventually got Saddam. The guy who named it named it after the movie Red Dawn and so he used terms from that. There were two locations known as Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2. The Wolverines in the movie were the guerrilla fighters. I imagine he probably used other names from the movie for other things too.

A lot of units use their unit's name as a call sign. So a company that's D Co in their battalion might be the Dragons, and their TOC call sign would be Dragon Main. When they're talking to their platoons, they would call Dragon 2-6 (The Plt Leader) or Dragon 2-7 (Platoon SGT). Dragon 7 is the Co 1SGT.

The platoons would have their own mascots and names, so if the 1st Plt D Co was the "Enforcers," they would have squad call signs such as "Enforcer 1," "Enforcer 2," and so on.

Here's a couple of CAS callsigns that have been used. They have two digits after them. E.g. Ugly 5.0 and Ugly 5.1

"Topman" / "Recoil" - UK Harrier

Wildman" / "Ugly" - UK Apache

"Morphine" - UK Chinook

"Bone" - US Lancer

"City Desk" - US F-18 - love this one

"Dude" - US F-15

"Rammit" - Dutch F-16

"Mamba" - French Mirage

Edited by Daniel

"Stab" - Dutch Apache

"Windmill" - Dutch TACP

"Quebec" - QRF land

had a medevac bird called "Dustoff 6-7"

for the rest you just have an system for your callsign, every callsign represents an funtion I'll try to explain a little:

Sierra = snipers/marksmen

Romeo=commander

Echo=second in command

Alpha=group commander 1st assaultgroup

Bravo=group commander 2nd assault group

Mike=mortars

numbers in front of it say witch unit like: 2-6-Romeo (2nd company "Bravo" unit 6)

nothing NATO secret here I guess,hope it helps!