Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

FPS Increase When Menu Opened

I was recently playing a mission online in Operation Arrowhead. My FPS was beginning to stutter really badly and I noticed that when I pressed Esc to bring up the menu, my FPS would increase a lot and every other player around me had the most fluid animations I have seen in an online game. It was as if I was playing offline.

Just wondering what would be causing a huge FPS increase by simply opening the menu.

I think it pauses all the AI and modules and such. The FPS increase is due to reduced CPU load.

Perhaps you get FPS decrease from the GUI when it's running, and you get an incrase when it's not being drawn?

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

I think it pauses all the AI and modules and such. The FPS increase is due to reduced CPU load.

I highly doubt that, and certainly not in MP (which seems to be what he's describing).

Funked1 is correct - the singleplayer interrupt pauses the game. That stops or limits the AI and script calculations.

Crap, need to learn to read properly...

No idea how this is possible then, never noticed anything similar.

I don't know, but it was a massive FPS increase whenever I paused the game. I'm pretty sure it doesn't pause the AI/Modules online.

There were roughly 5 other players wandering around the base. They were kind of jittery, and I was kind of lagging, yet when I paused the game my FPS spiked and the other players were moving around with no jitter and there was no lag.

Edited by Nicholas

happens to me as well since A2 was released...no idea why it does..

I've noticed the opposite (sort of). My ArmA freezes for around five to ten seconds when opening any sort of GUI, be it menu, gear or map. :/

What was the mission? I'd like to test this. I would have guessed you where talking about offline too as that is exactly what happens there:- opening the menu stops all CPU calculations and causes the fps to shoot up. But I don't think I have ever seen this online

I get this too. I think it's because the gpu only needs to redraw the same scene over and over again. There won't be many new objects for the cpu to process if the camera is standing still.

I don't know, but it was a massive FPS increase whenever I paused the game. I'm pretty sure it doesn't pause the AI/Modules online.

There were roughly 5 other players wandering around the base. They were kind of jittery, and I was kind of lagging, yet when I paused the game my FPS spiked and the other players were moving around with no jitter and there was no lag.

Just a thought, could this be related to full AI processing being done on the server & client side problem, when you bring up the menu, it disables the processing on client side, and you get the FPS boost that should have been there in the first place ?

Cause that would be wild if this was the case... I'd add a link to the stuff but I'm kinda too tired to give a rats ass atm.

Hi all

Just a wild guess.

Pixel Pushing?

3D interface pushing lots of pixels to screen when all screen is 3D. Depending on size of the menu, a big chunk perhaps as much as a quarter of the visible screen is no longer pushing 3D pixels just 2D.

What is your graphic card and what are your settings?

Kind Regards walker