Sign in to follow this  
sebj

Dust and water effect on vehicles (planes, boats)

Hello,

I'm doing an ekranoplane (feel free to check on wikipedia for those who don't know what is this thing :)) on Arma 3 and I'm facing an issue to produce some dust effect over ground and water particles.

I've tried to use the functions :

memoryPointsLeftWaterEffect="waterEffectL";

memoryPointsRightWaterEffect ="waterEffectR";

rightWaterEffect="LWaterEffects";

leftWaterEffect="RWaterEffects";

leftFastWaterEffect = "LWaterEffects";

rightFastWaterEffect = "RWaterEffects";

But no effect ingame :(.

I've tried too to attach some false boat under my model but no effect too (thanks to Gnat for his help :cool:).

My last solution is to create some exhausts to simulate the dust and water but it is not a really good way to simulate that because always active...

Do you know if there is some specific LOD or memory point to create on the model? or other solution?

thanks in advance for your help on this trouble.

Sebj

Sorry for the modo. I posted in the wrong channel.

Could we change it to "ALPHA : ADDONS - Configs & Scripting" please.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

SebJ

I think effect is produced by landcontact point on surface and surface type .

In man mlid there is point calked water surface it may also have effect

Thanks Thromp (I am working on this wit sebj). Indeed, we misread the documentation, this effect is supposed to work when the vehicle touches water. There is an other effect called WaterEffect in http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Particle_Effects:_Config_Parameters. It is said that it is triggered only when the plane is hovering above water though... Where and how those kind of event handlers are defined ("vehicle above water", "vehicle on water", "vehicle on dirt" ect.)?

Also, something is puzzling me: if Left and RightWatereffect is defined only for an object which float on water, why are we to define those effects for planes too (it is defined in the BIS plane config). Does it mean that there is a natural way to make a plane land/float on water?

I ask this because we needed to use a rather inventive trick that Gnat used for the Cesna (thanks again for that) to make it possible. For the Cesna, he creates a fake invisible ground under the plane and above the water and animate the landcontacts so that they stay above water and land on this "fake ground".

Edited by super-truite

Apologies I meant the a3 character MLOD has memory point called water surface

this maybe where the effect take place , i have setvelocity a man before (changed his pos very quick to ) and water effect comes from him :)

but i am sure the Land contacts when toughing water should give you a spray by default anyway in A3

The issue is that we want to make water effects also when the plane (actually ekranoplane) is slightly above the water. For the moment, we make this with "exhaust effects" but this is not entirely satisfactory since the effect is always present (even if the plane flies at 3000 m). Here is a screenshot of how it should work more or less (really early WIP with randomtexture and low poly model):

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5726/clpb.jpg (578 kB) .

I tried to make the amount of particles a function of the height, but I had no luck with that so far...

what did you do with your soldier exactly? I indeed see the water_effect memory point in the BIS example and I tried to set the velocity of a soldier in game to high speed above water, but nothing happens.

Hi

First if I understand your plane doesnt fly

So make boat class and animate land contact points acording to speed faster equals animate land contact liwer using speed as source in model cfg

Check the eventhandler its possible effects is a funtion too and the config entries are read via script rather than engine based

Man examole is only a demo, in essecence you can give man velicity but he wont move , yiu have to move using incremental setpos an the kinetic energy create a bow efdect but pls ignore its only to prove effect is define by land contact and surface type define effect

Edited by Thromp

Unfortunately it can fly...it uses the Wing in ground effect to "fly" 3-4 meters above the sea level but can go up to 3000 meters and even in WIG "mode" it has more the behavior of a plane than a boat (when it turns for instance).

Maybe better wait a week or so see if bis add planes so you can get more functionality

Otherwise make an .fsm and use landcontacts as a mempoint for particle using surfacetype comand and afew more param

I have shelve A3 till beta so cannot make proof if concept sorry

It is probably a good idea to wait. We have anyway a lot of work to do in other areas. I didn't know what fsm was. Thanks for opening this new world of possibilities to me!

Edited by super-truite