Sign in to follow this  
Colonel Korn

Dune mod, anyone?

I would love to see a mod for operation flashpoint based on the Dune books. Is anyone working on one, or does anyone want to help me start one? The mod would have a new campaign, new weapons, and new vehicles. Weapons would include swords, knives, and lasguns. Since there aren't many land vehicles in the books, new vehicles could include units from the Dune games by Westwood as well as vehicles we create ourselves, and possibly even sandworms. The might might take place in any of the original series books, in between books (such as the 3500 years between Children and God Emperor) or the prequil books. If anyone's interested in helping with this, I need all the help I can get, so email me at AndrewTS2000@msn.com

dude, OFP ain't the right engine for swords. Try moding JDK II, Jedi Outcast. Besides, no SDK... That would call in for a serious de-compilling and cracking job... Wich is illegal, btw.

Sorry,but this is...errrrrr...kinda funny...thats a bloody big job, pal...and I dont think there are many ppl who would like it very much...errr...dont take me wrong...try it if you want to but i dont see that big chances for this "dune-project"...

gn8

[76]Chavez

well i think it would be very cool to finally have some dune-game that actually follows the books...

By the way, you could also base it on the Butlerian Jihad (KJA and BH are writing books on it now), because knives weren't used much back then and you've got lots of freedom of own interpretation...

Errm i was under the impression that there already was a Dune mod in the making? confused.gif

Yepp, go around and search for a post by Goetterfunke. It is based on the Dune games, what means interactivly building up your base, develop your army and stuff like that. Sounded very promissing...

Found the thread

Read a bit through it and found some things:

1. It adds no new units, but uses the existing ones (support for future mods is included, they say); so it is only based on the Dune games, but not the books.

2. It is a commercial product, pre-order for 13 or 14Euro.

3. It changed the name to Planet Of War

Westwood have completely screwed up classic Dune with their games. I want the intrigue, the politics, the feuds, the venom. I mean, since when did Sardaukar use lasguns? They kicked just abt every1 in hand to hand with a personal shield. *sigh*. I wish there was a good dune game true to the books.

Ok, i've had my rant....

I think you're right, the Westwood games didn't follow the books at all. I have Emperor, and it is an excellent game, but none of the characters in it were even mentioned with the books or would even fit anywhere between the books. And, the Atreides duke was black. Not that I have anything against diversity, but everyone knows the Atreides are Greek! What's more is that House Ordos is not once mentioned, Geidi Prime is volcanic in the games, and the guild has an army of half-sandworms that shoot lightning. Oh well, enough ranting for one day.