Sign in to follow this  
r71

New comp for me

I have a comp from Gateway 600 P3 Gf3 256 ram SBlive the HD spins at 7200 rpm win 98SE. I am going to sell it to my friend. He is going to get ofp and I want to know what might help him out when the new addon comes out. The game seems to run nice for me now with a lot of AI and view distance up also.

Also I dont know much about comps but I would appreciate any tips for my new comp that is about to be sent out to me.

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.4GHz with 512K L2 Advanced

> Transfer Cache

> Memory: 1024MB RDRAM® PC800 (4-256MB Modules) (expandable to 2GB)

> Hard Drive: 120GB UATA100 7200RPM Hard Drive

> Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44MB diskette drive

> CD-ROM: DVD-RAM/DVD-R Drive and 40x/12x/48x Recordable ReWriteable CDRW

> (Windows® XP ONLY)

> Certification: Energy Star Compliant

> Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

> Application Software: Microsoft® Office XP Small Business

> AntiVirus Software: Norton AntiVirus 90 day Introductory Offer

> Monitor: Not Selected ** subtracted: US $500.00 **

> Video: 128MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti-4600G with TV Out and DVI Graphics

> Accelerator (Windows® XP ONLY)

> Keyboard: Multi-function Keyboard

> Mouse: Logitech USB Optical Wheel Mouse and Gateway mouse pad

> Sound System: SoundBlaster Audigy Audio w/ IEEE 1394

> Speakers: Boston Acoustics BA7800 5-piece Subwoofer/Satellite Speaker

> System (only available with SoundBlaster)

> Case: Gateway Mid-Tower Case

> Expansion Slots: 5 PCI and 1 AGP

> External ports: (6) USB (2 in front and 2 in back are version 2.0, 2 more

> in back are version 1.1) Parallel, Serial and (2) PS/2

> Controller: Integrated Ultra ATA Controller

> Modem: 56K PCI Voice Modem

> Network Adapter: 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

> Internet Service Provider: One year America Online® Internet Access (New

> members only) OR 6-Months of MSN Internet Access (New members only)

> Performance Support Package with Years 2&3 Onsite Service

> Standard Your:)Ware 2.0 Solution Package: Gateway® Video:)Ware

> Advanced

biggrin.gif I told them to dump the ghey AOL I use cable

I can host some good games now but hope with this new comp I will be able to get some good games going (dl at about 1500 and upload at around 250

Well, you are definitely gonna be humming along, but I suggest that once you get it, take every single bullshit program that Gateway puts on there and delete it. Unless you actually need it (which I doubt). yeah, you couldve gotten it cheaper by building it himself, but some people just dont have the time or experience needed to put a machine together. You think its easy now, but remember when you just started, how many 486s you trashed? At least, I did smile.gif

I agree, thats gonna be a pretty sweet rig, but you should have taken the time to go somewhere like http://www.newegg.com and put one together. It would have cost you as much as $1000 less, you could have built a secondary decent computer with the left over JUST for hosting games....LOL. Plus you could have have gotten a MUCH better case.

By the way, how much that rig costing you? Knowing Gateway probably at LEAST $2500, and yes I said at LEAST.

I guess I should be proud of myself if everyone else trashed that many computers...lol. I go in to get my A+ Certification in two weeks and I have yet to fry ANYTHING on a computer.

I still have two weeks....hmmm...what to fry, what to fry. Hey gateway guy (forgot name), I suggest you go to a book store, and buy a computer repair book, study it, and since you seem to have a wad of cash to blow, take a A+ 5 day course, or corespondence course and learn how to build a computer. You will save thousands of dollars when buying new computers and if you get a Certification, pull in some cash by repairs for people.

Well, I was I took the correspondence course from the prestigious University of Trial and Error... lol. No, I was mainly just messing around with them, seeing what you can and cant do, and learned that way. Did it mean a few comps went to heaven? maybe, but they served well. smile.gif

yeah I dont think I could do it wow.gif I have only put my own vid card in and ram. I did not even really know how to turn on a comp 2 years ago, lol it cost me about 2500 for this new one. you got it right on the head. I would not need all the bs gateway puts on it but my wife uses it. she need alot of that for school and other stuff that she does.