Sign in to follow this  
megagoth1702

Player Movement Lag & Animation Stutter|Something for BIS Devs too!

Are you interested in improvements concerning movement&animation fluidity in MP?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in improvements concerning movement&animation fluidity in MP?

• I don't care
    • Yes
    • No

Does anyone have an idea why the anmations are not played in their real speed but slower when playing online? Games like Bad Company 2 also sometimes warp the players but the anmations are all real-speed, not slow like in A2.

I don't really see animation slowdown, though honestly that may well be my eyes or lack of ... well, awareness :)

Could you FRAPS it to outline the issue?

)rStrangelove;1694398']Warping is not client interpolation. An object is teleported to the correct position (server is always right) as soon as the latest TCP packet arrives which holds this new position. Prior to the position update the object is not moving while the animation still runs. (like soldiers walking in 1 place)

Which is why I assumed it was the client interpolation that is visible. Example.

AI is at A.

You see AI run toward B.

AI warp back to position slightly ahead of A (AI changed pace on the server, but not the client).

You see AI run toward B again.

AI warp back to a position left of A (AI turned on the server, but not on the client).

The server is always right, that's why he's warping back near A all the time - the client thinks he's running towards B, but between the time when the server said he was at A running towards B and the client interpolate this as AI running from A to B, he's actually stopped/moved different on the server but is still running on the client. Thus warp back when the server update the client to say he's stopped/moving different (which isnt fast enough for the client).

Note that I am not a network programmer. This was just my logical conclusion. Logic may or may not be included ;)

Seems like you guys found the solution, developer get to work and make this the best game ever! :bounce3:

There is no solution yet because of the lack of developer's explanations of the problem... :-/

They will probably give some reason why they cant change it, possibly an engine "limitation", this happens very often. But in reality what they are trying to say is, we have a lot on our plate and I don't think we can handle this. I'm sure the community would except such an answer.

As long as it's honest. :) We love ArmA 2 and if they say honestly that it is quiet hard to focuss on such an issue, it's ok for me and most of the mature community I think.

But still, there could be hope. ;)

Ypu9dT2diPw

Here we go.

This issue is insignificant compared. I would much rather see warping taken care of before this.

Warping happens due to server stress.

Animations are played at slower speed because of corrupt data or soomething. Even if the player warps around the animations should have the same speed.