Sign in to follow this  
ryguy

Making a plane do a bomb run on building

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before but my search was to no avail. My question is how do I force a plane to do a bomb run on a neutral building? I tried placing a "Destroy" waypoint but unfortunately that doesn't work.

Thanks!

To get a plane to drop a bomb like that it must have a target. I recommend you script the spawn of a laser on the building and have the plane target that laser.

How would I script a laser to spawn?

Sneak an operator into the town and have him toss an IR target strobe onto the target building! :butbut: :yay:

Sneak an operator into the town and have him toss an IR target strobe onto the target building! :butbut: :yay:

Hmm... Well it sure would be easier to just spawn an IR strobe... How?

// Usage:

// nul=[] execVM "lasertarget.sqf";

_target = _this select 0;

_laze = "LaserTargetW" createVehicle getPos _target;

_laze attachTo [_target,[0,0,0]];

waitUntil {!alive _target};

deleteVehicle _laze;

Usage is at the top of that script. Script is called "lasertarget.sqf" I am not sure if this works in OA, but it does in ArmA 2. What this does is at mission start it spawns a laser on whatever the object is that you executed this with. Once that object is dead, the laser is deleted. Now, since you are trying to do this with a building I recommend that you either get the coordinates of the building and do the nearest object line, or spawn an invisible H-Pad on top of the building and execute like that. Again, not sure if this will work. I always used this on ground targets.

If you want to go the IR strobe method, you'd need to figure out how to spawn the IR strobe and activate it.

Edited by Grimes [3rd ID]

Haha, was waiting for someone to say that :P That's cheatin' though!

using the lasertarget script it will work but not on a building as you can't attach it to a building, it will attach to a heli pad but if you place this over a building it will fail.

The reason is that the pilot can't see the laser when it's inside a building, what you need to do is position the heli pad just outside the building this is done easily if you do it at night as you can see the strobe.

The plane will still fly past once before bombing.

Has anyone got a way to get an AI to fire the laser designator ? he will raise it for a few seconds but never seems to fire and he refuses to hold the it for long.

I'm not keen on the record and play back method for a few reasons it crashes my PC too often and I never got the data to clipboard, if I could get it to work how would you use that to target random buildings or would you have to record it all.

The recording method is more for scripted events, rather than dynamic air support. If there is once specific objective building to destroy, the record function is great. If you want dynamic support on any building you choose, you will need actual AI flying.

(At least that's what I know, may be wrong!)

The recording method is more for scripted events, rather than dynamic air support. If there is once specific objective building to destroy, the record function is great. If you want dynamic support on any building you choose, you will need actual AI flying.

(At least that's what I know, may be wrong!)

Thanks richie, it's actually going to be for a movie... But It's not going to just be one plane, probably more like... erm... 6?

Will this still work?

Thanks richie, it's actually going to be for a movie... But It's not going to just be one plane, probably more like... erm... 6?

Will this still work?

If that's the case, then you probably will want to use the recording method. Easier to maintain a formation if you know what you are doing, and you can make the break off look much better, maybe add flares or something.

How will the script know which to record?

You name each jet and record it for each, and each has their own text files.

OK, I'll look up some example scripts.