Sign in to follow this  
jpinard

Does synchronise work with non-"move" waypoints?

I was trying to do the following:

Have a tank set to Sentry until a specific enemy unit is destroyed, then it moves across the map.

This works if I have the synchronised waypioint as a normal "move" waypoint. But so far if I use any other waypoint type it doesn't work at all. Am I understanding this right?

You can syncronise to the following: cycle and hold.

And you'll need the trigger to be set to Switch, with which you synchronize.

You can syncronise to the following: cycle and hold.

And you'll need the trigger to be set to Switch, with which you synchronize.

Wow I'm so glad I asked. After trying 8 waypoint types I'd assumed the answer was "no" but cycle will be invaluable for what I'm trying to create. When you mention using the switch command, is that if you set it to "cycle"? I didn't use it with "move" and the units appeared to adjust OK.

Maybe the Hold WP is a bit special, I don't know, but you shouldn't need to set a trigger to Switch. A Switch trigger is used to activate another WP in the sequence by synching it to the previous WP (to where you want it to go). In this case, it would work, because the next WP comes after the one you're at.

Normally you'd probably get by by setting every synched trigger to switch, because the next WP is the one you'd want to activate. But there are cases when you don't want to use a switch, only a regular hold/synch.

Also there are other WP types that basically need synching to work. Often you'll want GetOut synchronized to UnloadTransport, or Join/JoinAndLead to a Move WP.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

@CarlGustaffa: You're right. Of course you can synchronize more: Movements of groups, Transport & cargo...

Imho jpinard's post did have some sort of "guard/sentry until an event occures which switches to move/attack".

@jpinard: Set your vehicles waypoints like this

1.) Sentry/Guard/etc.

2.) Cycle

3.) Movement-WPs

4.) Use your trigger to ask about the condition of the specific unit that has to be destroyed (e.g. !alive specunit)

5.) Set trigger-state to switch.

6.) Sync trigger with 2.)

After the death of the specunit, the vehicle doesnt cycle the previous waypoint(s) and jumps to 3.).

Edited by Egosa-U

You guys are awesome. Thanks! :)