Sign in to follow this  
Bosun

Newbie thoughts

Hey l just wanted to say what a great game this is. The mission editor, a wonderful tool, l've been obsessed with creating little missions for myself...good way to learn game, how to fly those big birds, drive those big tractors, etc...have yet to get the courage to play online but...l'm sure its quite different than playing ghost recon mp.? Perhaps a bunch of newbies could get together and play/learn together?... yah l know, wrong forum. Anyways great game, intelligent. smile.gif

Spot on Bosun smile.gif

The mission editor in OFP has to be the single greatest feature of any game I've ever played...

Come to think of it, it's kept me so interested - trying to make proper missions or blowing stuff up in a totally random manner -

that I've never even bothered to venture into online play. Either that or i'm scared that my mighty 56k modem will be too fast to play online wink.gif

If you have broadband, there is no experience like OFP multiplayer.  

Ghost Recon is the same as most other FPS games in that you have a set area to fight in.  And that's it.

In OFP you have a degree of freedom you've never had in a game before.  Say you need to take the enemy's flag.  Do you just barrel in as fast as you can using a jeep, and hope you don't get shot?  Perhaps you could sneak in on foot, through the enemy's back door while they're occupied.  Or hell with it, make it a team effort and grab a chopper so you can paradrop your whole team right on top of the enemy's base (trust me, one of the last things you want to see is a whole buttload of parachutes coming down on your base from the sky).  Or you could be a sniper, keeping hidden at the perimeter of the enemy's base, keeping the lane clear for your teammates to move in.  

The cool thing is, you're not limited to a role.  You can do whatever you want.  Tired of being a sniper?  Grab an assault rifle and a LAW launcher off a dead body, hide in the bushes along the main roads, and do some anti-tank ambushing. Sometimes I'll shoot a guy right out of his jeep and steal it from him. 

And that's not even mentioning the huge depth of gameplay that also comes from using all the vehicles.

I recommend trying some coop missions for your first foray into MP.  It'll help you get used to how things work, and you'll be playing with humans instead of against them, so you can pick up some good tactics.  CTF is a whole different can of worms, because use of vehicles is much more prominent.  

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

i haven't made the venture either

we could always have a forum multi-n00b game biggrin.gif

Thanks for the replies/mp info. Multi-noob game....l like it...although we would probably just end up like rotating ducks at a carnival...oh well, eventuallly we'd be spitting past your ear. biggrin.gif