Sign in to follow this  
Sardaukar17

Setside for Vehicles

What I have read would imply that this is not possible but nothing out right says it. I have a mission where East players can get into West vehicles that are spawned in game through an addaction menu. Everything works fine.. but when the players are duking it out any East player in a USMC vehicle shows friendly to the West side which gives them an unfair advantage because West can't distinguish between friend or foe easily. Is there a way reset the vehicle as enemy once the player is inside so that it shows correctly? Or to set the vehicle itself equal to a side?

Yes your right about the Faction of the vehicle... What about a work around based on the side of the player. It only matters when a player is in the vehicle using it... So would it be possible to setenemy (or setfriendly can't remember the command atm) East for a USMC player. Would something like that work possibly..? The side of the player is the key I think.

I believe it's the vehicle's faction (because a vehicle is side:Civillian) that's the problem.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/faction

There's no setFaction command :(

Faction doesn't change, that's its strength. It means you can see that a BMP is still, deep down a Russian vehicle even if it's crewed by USMC

Hasn't anyone made some invisible targets that you could attach to the vehicle depending on the side you want.

Using deletecollection was useful for this but I don't think it worked well in MP and won't work now anyway.

BMP is still, deep down a Russian vehicle even if it's crewed by USMC

Sounds so... touching. :rolleyes:

Hasn't anyone made some invisible targets that you could attach to the vehicle depending on the side you want.

Using deletecollection was useful for this but I don't think it worked well in MP and won't work now anyway.

Ok here is an idea then.. I usually play and test my maps via dedicated server. SO couldn't we make a script that only runs on the server that places a small but Faction oriented object on top of the players vehicle?... I guess then though it would only exist on the server and would be irrelevant anyway lol... Just thinking out loud here..

Well no.. the creation script could be set to run on the server for the players vehicles as well as the clients.. and then the script that places the ghost object on the vehicle would only be server.. .. same problem though I guess. It still wouldn't be seen by the clients unless there is a way to broadcast it's position and faction but not it's model

By addon are you referring to creating my own vehicles and something the players would have to load prior to joining the map? If so I want to stay away from that. I try to make all my maps playable without DLing anything. Now if there is a way to do that where they wouldn't have to DL my vehicles.. that they would somehow be created in game through scripting or the editor I am all ears. But it is beyond my knowledge level

Unforunately, there is no good solution without making new classes. Vehicles will appear friendly to their own side regardless of who's crewing it. This doesn't mean the enemy won't engage them though. I have to ask, why do you absolutely need to use enemy vehicles anyway? Surely BIS provided enough vehicles to make sure everyone has their own counterpart to everyone elses stuff.

Not when it comes to Jets. The USMC side has many more options than the east side

Well, if you mean weapons, then you can just add Western weapons to the East planes. If you're talking about VTOL... it's not really something that makes a huge difference in a fight.

Not when it comes to Jets. The USMC side has many more options than the east side

There's no OPFOR equivalent to the C13, either.

If it was just a matter of weapons I would have done that already. The Opfor jets have only 2 to choose from. Both of which are generally slower in speed and the SU34 is a huge Moose flying around compared to the USMC jets. To make it a fair fight you have to give both teams access to the same vehicles.. and the more options the better.

I'm going to keep thinking about it. There has to be a work around somehow